Views
Helpful
Replies

Clients loose connection

tommyp78ct
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I have a wireless network that is driving me crazy.

I have to connect two buildings. The main building (in blue) has a server that I need to contact using PDAs from another building (in orange). Since I need PDAs to work also in the 150mt of space between the two buildings I decided to set the outdoor 1310 (number 1 in picture) (172.18.100.86) as Access Point. Then setting the second outdoor 1310 (172.18.100.181) as a Workgroup bridge (WGB) associated to the first one and connecting it to a 1240 AP (172.18.100.175) through a cisco switch everything works... so I can access the server from both Building 1 and 2. But even if the connection in building 1 is perfect in the orange building I have two different problems that maybe are related to the same issue.

1) when I turn off the pda for a while (like 1 minute) when I turn it on I can ping the .175 and .181 Cisco units but I cannot contact the .3 and .86 addresses.

2) when I walk outside the orange building and go towards the blue one my PDA associates to the .86 AP and everything is ok and I can ping everything... Problem occurs when I go back to the orange building where I can

ping the .175 and .181 Units but cannot ping the devices in the other building...

I found out that if I disable and enable wireless interface in .181 I solve the problem. Of course that is not a solution!

These are my configurations.

Do you have an idea to solve my problem???

thx

tommy

-------------------------------------------------

Product/Model Number: AIR-BR1310G-E-K9

Top Assembly Serial Number: FCZ1021U02J

System Software Filename: c1310-k9w7-tar.124-3g.JA1

System Software Version: 12.4(3g)JA1

Bootloader Version: 12.3(2)JA4

-------------------------------------------------

Product/Model Number: AIR-BR1310G-E-K9

Top Assembly Serial Number: FCZ1141U06W

System Software Filename: c1310-k9w7-tar.124-3g.JA1

Bootloader Version: 12.3(2)JA4

--------------------------------------------------

Product/Model Number: AIR-AP1242AG-E-K9

Top Assembly Serial Number: FCZ113580D5

System Software Filename: c1240-k9w7-tar.124-3g.JA1

Bootloader Version: 12.3(7)JA1

--------------------------------------------------

5 Replies 5

tommyp78ct
Level 1
Level 1

...and the last config file

I have the same problem... I googled and found a solution that should work with Cisco 350 as WGB... is something related to the so called "Staleout time setting"... problem is that I cannot find this setting on the 1310...

this is what I found:

Q. What is the use of Staleout time setting?

A. The Workgroup Bridge management system includes a wired LAN staleout time setting on the Configuration > Ethernet page. Use this setting in order to control the number of seconds that the Workgroup Bridge continues to track a device in its association table when the device is inactive. Enter a value between 5 and 1000 seconds. Five minutes equals 300 seconds; ten minutes equals 600 seconds.

If the same devices are always connected to the Workgroup Bridge, enter 5 for the staleout time setting. If the devices connected to the Workgroup Bridge change frequently, enter 300 (equal to five minutes) for the staleout time setting. If you disconnect the Ethernet cable from the workgroup bridge and reconnect it, the Workgroup Bridge removes all devices from its association table and relearns them, regardless of the staleout time setting.

so do you have some suggestion?

please help me...

dave

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about what the 1242 AP is doing. Do you have the .181 bridge connected to a switch, and then have the 1242 plugged into that switch? Or is the 1242 connecting to the .181 bridge via its radio?

If you have two buildings and wireless clients that need access outside, I typically use the "root with clients" and "non-root with clients" setting. I'm not sure why you have the WGB part, unless you're using that to run the ethernet from the bridge into the 1242.

The good news is your IP range is the same, which means you don't need 802.1q vlan tagging on the bridge; it can be flat with no vlan identifiers. If you don't have any switches on the other side you can definitely go cheap with the switch. You could use one of those new Cisco-Linksys ones, they're cheap and have some Cisco goodies. 3Com would work too. Please elaborate on the role of the 1242 and how it's connected to the bridge (.181)

P.S. Please see my attachment for how I would recommend doing this with the parts you have. The green lines are cat5 connections :)

hi and thanks for your reply,

> Do you have the .181 bridge connected to a switch, and then have the 1242 plugged into that switch?

Yes.

The reason why I decided to use the WGB configuration is that in the 1310 you can set the device to work only as a root bridge and not root bridge WITHOUT clients. I don't have the Root bridge with clients option.

The thing is that everything works fine except that when I turn off a device connected to the bridged part of the network then It cannot connect to the server anymore...

thanks

Dave

oh oh...

I found you setting... I'll try and let you know...

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: