cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Annoying message from CatOS spanning tree

jeffrey.girard
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6506 running CatOS. I regularly get the following messages on the console:

%ETHC-5-PORTTOSTP: Port 3/3 joined bridge port 3/3 and then %ETHC-5-PORTFROMSTP: Port 3/3 left bridge port 3/3. It continues to cycle. I checked the error message decoder and it said it was just informational. Well, it may be, but its annoying when Im trying to configure. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? It appears to be the only port that is reporting it. Attached to the port is a Dell Poweredge server.

2 Replies 2

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What does " show logging " reveal to you. Please paste the output of " show logging ".

-amit singh

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That port port must be flapping if its doing it continually . To get around that for your current session all that has to be done is to do the following command "set logging level ethc 4 . This turns down the logging level to 4 for ETHC logging message . Seeing that the message is a logging level 5 message you should no longer see that message until the next time you log in . The logging level number for that message just has to be below 5 and it will stop for the given telnet or ssh session.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card