cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Revision

kian_hong2000
Level 1
Level 1

One question on VTP revision. I know that in client mode, it cannot create, detele vlans.

Say now i have one server mode switch with revision 200. When i put in a new client mode switch but a with higher revision of 201. Will the server switch vlan be flushed out?

4 Replies 4

Hi Kian,

Thats right. Once both switches are in the same VTP domain, and the client switch has a higher revision number, the VLANs on the server mode switch will be modified (to match the VLANs on the client mode switch).

If you need to add a used switch to your network, the way to reset the revision number to zero is by configuring it to transparent mode then back to client mode.

Can i say that the revision number is the priority to no matter what vtp mode the switch is in?

If one switch is in transparent mode with 200 revision and one switch is in client mode with 210 revision

The client mode will flush out the VLAN in transparent mode.

kian_hong2000 wrote:

Can i say that the revision number is the priority to no matter what vtp mode the switch is in?

If one switch is in transparent mode with 200 revision and one switch is in client mode with 210 revision

No it won't because VTP transparent switches do not accept VTP updates. They will forward VTP updates on to other switches but they will not update their own vlan database.

That is why VTP transparent is the most secure because they will not overwrite their own vlan information based on an update received from another switch. The downside of VTP transparent is that you must manually configure each switch with the vlans you want on that switch and in a large network this can be quite time consuming.

Jon

No it wont as VTP transparent switches do not participate in VTP. A VTP transparent switch will not advertise its VLAN configuration and does not synchronize its VLAN configuration based on received messages. VLANS can be created, changed or deleted when in transparent mode. In VTP version 2, transparent switches do forward VTP messages that they receive out their trunk ports.

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: