cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.1 Network Topology layer 2 view behaving different then LMS 2.6

blarochelle
Level 1
Level 1

In our previous version 2.6, two devices that were connected to a non-Cisco switch would show up on a thick black backbone line, because CDP info was being forwarded through. Now in 3.1, they show up under the Unconnected Devices view. Their CDP neighbor info is correct on both, but the won't show up in the Layer 2 view. (See attachments) I've tried removing the devices down stream and running a collection job with no luck.

Has Cisco done away with this black backbone line in the new version? It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to view everything on one view like before. Thanks.

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Interesting. Most people complain when they SEE the bus. In your case, the bus is correct. The bus should appear in CM 5.1. If you enable core, corex, and topo Data Collection debugging then run a new Data Collection, the ani.log should indicate why the devices are disconnected.

Thanks Joe, is there a certain string I should look for? With debugging on the ani.log file grew substantially and when I searched for the devices in question by IP address, nothing jumped out at me. Also searching for "unconnected" didn't get me any closer. Any thoughts?

Search for the IP address and hostname of the unconnected switches, and look for lines that contain ERROR. The problem may not be obvious, however. If you can post the ani.log, I will take a look.

I searched again and didn't find any errors in the same line as the IP or Hostname of the unconnected switches. But I did notice that these switches and all of the devices upstream have "Discovery ani TopoSMFGenerateAbstractTopology" lines where the rest have "Discovery ani TopoSMFGenerateCdpTopology". Do I need to delete everything upstream to the seed device and then rerun a Data Collection? I've included the log. One of the unconnected switches is: 192.168.40.11 Display name: TC160_C. Thanks again.

This indicates you're running into CSCsu63575. This bug will be fixed in the Campus Manager 5.1.2 update due out early next year. In the meantime, there is no workaround.

Ok, thanks for the quick follow ups and thorough answers!

I installed CM 5.1.4 and it now looks just like it used to. Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco