CUDL for Unity Connection 2.1(2) data access

Unanswered Question
Nov 12th, 2008

Downloaded the tool off CiscoUnityTools and installed. I have it connected to the server.

It cannot "Fetch Dictionary Data". I get the pop up, but when I put in the user id/password configured for OS Administration, it fails. The Application Admin user ID doesn't work either.

It's set up as a DBProxy, and that seems to work. I can browse the table contents.

What I really need to do is run a query and generate a list of who has set up their mailbox. Since the names are in one table, and the flag on whether or not the box is setup is in another, I tried just running a query with a regular ANSI join. I cannot get a query that does a table join to work.

Has anyone been able to resolve any of these issues (1) data dictionary fetch or (2) SQL Join?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Loading.
lindborg Wed, 11/12/2008 - 11:38

Sorry - I should have been more clear in the help. To fetch the data dictionary you need root access - only developers and TAC engineers would have access to that.

The data dictionary is up to date when I post the tool - in general it only moves forward (i.e. 7.0 is a strict super set of 2.x - things are not removed) - as such the dictionary you have there should be ok for your install so no need to update it.

USer Data Dump already kicks out the data you want, by the way - it'll tell you which users have or have not gone through first time enrollment and/or recorded a voice name and/or set a password and the like - if you need to do this on your own via a query, let me know and I can show you how that's done.

Clifford McGlamry Wed, 11/12/2008 - 12:28

Thanks Jeff,

I pulled that tool and ran it, and you're correct, it does get the data.

It also reports 5184 errors in the process for 432 users.

The logs look like this:

Alias=UndeliverableMessagesMailbox

(error) in export. Description=Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal., Source=ADODB.Fields, Number= 3265

(error) in export. Description=Operation is not allowed when the object is closed., Source=ADODB.Recordset, Number= 3704

(error) could not resolve Maildatabase name from MailstoreMap for this subscriber - skipping any mail database count output.

(error) in export. Description=Operation is not allowed when the object is closed., Source=ADODB.Recordset, Number= 3704

(error) in export. Description=Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal., Source=ADODB.Fields, Number= 3265

(error) in export. Description=Operation is not allowed when the object is closed., Source=ADODB.Recordset, Number= 3704

(error) could not resolve Maildatabase name from MailstoreMap for this subscriber - skipping any mail database count output.

(error) in export. Description=Operation is not allowed when the object is closed., Source=ADODB.Recordset, Number= 3704

(error) in export. Description=Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal., Source=ADODB.Fields, Number= 3265

(error) in export. Description=Operation is not allowed when the object is closed., Source=ADODB.Recordset, Number= 3704

(error) could not resolve Maildatabase name from MailstoreMap for this subscriber - skipping any mail database count output.

(error) in export. Description=Operation is not allowed when the object is closed., Source=ADODB.Recordset, Number= 3704

In my experience, this happens when you use an OLE type connection as opposed to an ODBC type connection since the OLE doesn't support the static recordset/cursor and ODBC does. Just a thought....my experience is heavily MSSQL, and very limited with Informix.

lindborg Wed, 11/12/2008 - 13:18

Don't use OLE - it's a client side ODBC so it's not the record count thing.

More likely when we made changes to support more fields for 7.0 we didn't properly screen them out for 2.x and it's asking for data that doesn't exist on the older install. Did you select all columns for output or something?

Either way - I'll get a 2.1 server installed and check it myself here when I get a chance.

By the way, all the info you need is in the vw_Subscriber view - no inner joins needed. You'll find with Connection views are your friend - direct table queries will be a constant headache. Subscribers are users with mailboxes and you'll see columns in the view for their voice name file (if it's null they have no voice name), set for first time enrollment, time of last call and other good stuff. So if you want to go manual, that'll work for you.

I'll take a look at CUDD against 2.x here tomorrow hopefully. You can send me your log file and cSV output directly as well, maybe I can spot the issue from there.

Clifford McGlamry Wed, 11/12/2008 - 13:27

I selected Alias, Display Name, and whether or not they were set for first time enrollment.

Thanks. I'll send those items over to you.

lindborg Thu, 11/13/2008 - 08:41

Just a follow up to this for folks coming across this thread. I posted updated versions of CUDLI:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_CUDLE_LL.htm

and User Data Dump:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/APP_UserDataDump.htm

Some data schema changes in 7.0 were not backwards compatible (inclusve) on 2.1 and I made changes based on the 7.0 model without exluding them when connected to a 2.0 system.

Actions

This Discussion