Range Command Freezes Device

Unanswered Question
Nov 12th, 2008
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

I have a 3750 running 12.2(35)SE5, and everyime I run the 'interface range' command, my telnet session freezes, but then resumes after a minute or so.

I thought that the CPU may be getting pegged, but its not. I opened a separate telnet session to the same device and a 'sh proc cpu' showed barely 11% utilization.

So why does the switch take such a long time to bring me back to the command prompt? Is that simply the time it takes to execute command?

switch (config-range)#switchport mode access vlan 333

(I press enter, and the it stays like this for a minute or so) then....

switch (config-range)#

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
John Blakley Wed, 11/12/2008 - 12:40
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

It depends on how many ports you're putting into vlan 333. If there's a lot, it will take some time to switch the port to access and add to the vlan.

--John

glen.grant Wed, 11/12/2008 - 12:49
User Badges:

Thats not normal , it should be almost instantaneous . Have never seen that on any switch using the range command. I would check for bugs for that code version .

John Blakley Wed, 11/12/2008 - 12:55
User Badges:

I can tell you that I have 12.2(35)SE1, and I don't have that command "blended."

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 333

It's two separate commands. Maybe Glen is right. They may have introduced this command as a "blended" command and it's got a bug in it.

Good call Glen :-)

--John

lamav Wed, 11/12/2008 - 19:56
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

Oh wow....sorry. That was a typo. No blended command.

I meant to write 'switchport access vlan 333'

Anyway, same problem though.

Every switch I have turned up in this project -- dozens -- reacted the same way.

Actions

This Discussion