cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reason Code 16

keithknowles
Level 1
Level 1

I am seeing some phone in my CUCM 5.1.3.5000-3 cluster unregister with a reason code of 16, I looked it up and it means DuplicateRegistration. What does that mean though? That I have 2 phones trying to register the same MAC address??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

smahbub
Level 6
Level 6

ReasonCode 16: DuplicateRegistration. This means that Cisco Unified CallManager detected that the same device was registered on two nodes at the same time. When this happens, Cisco Unified CallManager sends a restart request to the phone to force the phone to register with only one Cisco Unified CallManager.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

smahbub
Level 6
Level 6

ReasonCode 16: DuplicateRegistration. This means that Cisco Unified CallManager detected that the same device was registered on two nodes at the same time. When this happens, Cisco Unified CallManager sends a restart request to the phone to force the phone to register with only one Cisco Unified CallManager.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Does anyone know why this happens, I am getting the same problem.

Why does a phone register with 2 CM's?

Thanks

When the phone times out to the CUCM it will attempt to register to the next CUCM in its list (assuming a multi-node system). If the first CUCM has not yet unregistered the phone by the time the phone attempts to connect to the second CUCM this message will be generated. Does this make sense?

Yes this makes sense but I am wondering why the phone is moving from one CM to the other in the first place. I suspect I may have a network issue. Any thoughts?

My thoughts exactly. What version of CUCM are you running? What model phone is this happening to...various? What firmware are they running?

Unintentional resets/re-registrations are usually a QoS or duplex issue, but I have seen it in buggy firmware as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: