Views
Helpful
Replies

router 877 changing Ios

uosambela
Level 1
Level 1

hi!

i dont know if it's the correct forum but i got a simple question that i would like to be answered.

Recently i brought a 877 adsl router with the advance security ios. I thought this ios supported 802.1q, but i don't think so. So i upgraded to advance ip services ios. This ios support 802.1q and vlan implementation. The router seems to work fine. Everything was configured through CLI.

My question: This upgrade can cause some kind of problem with router functionality? if so, which ones?

The configuration is very simple: no vpns and basic firewall configuration.

Thanks for your help.

5 Replies 5

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Unai,

You shouldn't run into any problems since you "upgraded" feature sets. I am assuming that you upgraded with the same or later IOS version as well. I don't think you will have any issues in regards to upgrading the IOS.

HTH,

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for your quickly response!

I asked this question because the minium requirements for flash for advance ip services are 28 MB , and my router has just 24 MB.

So, it supposed this will not cause any problem.

Thanks

They recommend 28Mb so that you can have your IOS and SDM installed in flash on the router. If you have no desire to have SDM installed on the router or want to run SDM from your PC then you are fine. It will not cause a problem on your router at all.

HTH,

Mark

adkumar_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

IOS Upgrades Dont affect Router Functionality BUT the features available on the Device.

Min Flash Requirement is There as BackUp Images are Recommended. In case The New Image is Corrupt or things dont go as planned, We can Manually boot the Router from Rommon.

Its a Standard Practice in Production Environment so as to Maximize Uptime.

Regarding the Features Required the best Pactice is to Use Cisco Feature Navigator

thanks all for your info.

Best regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco