cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Show Flash No such Device

hasmurizal
Level 1
Level 1

please help, i formatted the CF card to FAT (FAT16) and copied IOS into it. After i switched on the router, the router did not recognized the Flash: but able to load the ios. please advice.

Bandwidth_Test2#sh flash

%Error show flash: (No such device)

Bandwidth_Test2#

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

vaisharm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As you have already tried formatting the CF card on the router, try a later IOS release as this is most likely an IOS bug. To test, you can just donwload the image on to your tftp server and then inlcude the following line as the first boot statement(do NOT delete the existing IOS from the flash):

boot system tftp x.x.x.x

Here, x.x.x.x -> TFTP server IP address

HTH,

~Vaibhav

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I ran into the same thing and here's how I 'fixed' it. Format the card while it is in the router. Then plug it into your card reader and copy the IOS to it. The Windows format messes up the format somehow.

Hope that helps.

Hi Collin,

i have tried it, but unfortunately, the router cannot find the flash.

Sometimes you can see it in ROMMON, have you tried that?

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

try Dir Flash: or show Flash:

You dont mention what type of router, is there a flash1:

Dear all,

It's a 2811. As mentioned before, "show flash" or "dir flash" is not possible. I believe there is no flash1: since 2800 router has only one external CF(ATA) memory.

You are placing the colon at the end of the command?

vaisharm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As you have already tried formatting the CF card on the router, try a later IOS release as this is most likely an IOS bug. To test, you can just donwload the image on to your tftp server and then inlcude the following line as the first boot statement(do NOT delete the existing IOS from the flash):

boot system tftp x.x.x.x

Here, x.x.x.x -> TFTP server IP address

HTH,

~Vaibhav

hi vaisharm, looks interesting since i'm using 12.4(15), will update you guys later. thanks

Hasmurizal, you are running c2800nm-advsecurityk9-mz.124-15.T1.bin and the lates is c2800nm-advsecurityk9-mz.124-22.T.bin.

HTH

~Vaibhav

Hi,

I ran into the same problem; the same error message, and I cannot format the flash while is in use (router):

Cisco2821#format flash:

Format operation may take a while. Continue? [confirm]

Format operation will destroy all data in "flash:". Continue? [confirm]

%Error formatting flash (No device available)

The boot process is working perfectly, it's just I cannot use any IPS signatures that I'm interested in.

I'm running now c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz.124-24.T.bin image and the router model is Cisco 2821.

Thanks in advance,

Florin.

1) are you able to insert the flash in another cisco device?

else

2)in rommon mode

flash_init

format flash:

doesn't work?

I don't have other router at hand; using my CF reader I format it as FAT32 and it didn't boot at all, then I put it back into CF reader and format it again on FAT file type; now it s working and also I get no error on show flash :). All I need is to add some IPS signatures.

i do not recommend it when formating to FAT32. because most of the flash for 2800 routers use RAW format. luckily FAT is working for you.

now, since its working, try to format it after the router finish rebooting. once the IOS settled, run the format flash. Do not shut down or restart, just let the router maintaint its IOS in the NVRAM. then upload the IOS using ur tftp software.

to update your IPS signature, try to use Cisco SDM (gui mode) by downloading directly into the router.

Thanks for your answer; the problem started when I wanted to upload via TFTP an IOS image ~35mb large, it didn't work out, and that's why I copied using that CF reader.

Now it's working perfectly, I'm just wandering if it's possible to upload the IOS signatures via SDM ?

Regards,

Florin.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: