Helpful
Replies

VPN Client and Vista

dwardenjbs
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a PIX 515e.

PC's ranging from Windows XP to Windows Vista.

Every one can connect fine bar one laptop.

We have a new Dell Laptop running Vista Business SP1. Whenever this sales rep tries to connect it has an error 442 failed to enable virtual adapter.

I have installed some version 4 clients, some version 5 clients up to the latest on on 5th Oct. I have clicked the allow lan connections box but still 9 times out of 10 this rep cannot cannect.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am getting desperate.

Thanks in advance

6 Replies 6

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

Reinstalling VPN client is the exact solution for your problem. Most likely your only bet is to uninstall and reinstall the Cisco VPN client software but it is not readily available on their site unless you have a login. You would also need to what the remote gateway is (IP address of the firewall) as well as the group name and password. You can get the IP and group name by opening up the Cisco VPN but the password is going to look like ******. The uninstall and reinstall is straight forward and you can select yes for all questions during the install. During the install it will temporarily reset all network cards so you will be knocked off the internet during the install.

mchin345-I have the same problem. I have installed and uninstalled and reinstalled so many times that I have lost count. In the beginning, this method worked. Now, it seldom works.

Any more ideas? It is frustrating and I have deadlines to meet. I have a Toshiba with Vista 32 bit os. No one else seems to have the issue but me.

Pat

Re-installation may not be required. Check the status of the "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter" in Windows Device Manager. If it has a little arrow pointing down, it is disabled. To enable it, right click on it and choose "Enable".

For some reason, the Cisco VPN adapter is disabled when I shut down my machine running Vista and I have to manually re-enable it to get the VPN client to connect. This does not happen with the same client on XP. Anyone know how to fix this?

I did check that and it is enabled (checked). I just lost a very good job over this.

I do thank you for your input. I am considering reformating my hard drive because I do have some other issues.

For instance, I cannot get my HP OfficeJet J6400 to scan either.

I have problems with the CD drive not working all the time. I am so frustrated.

Pat

yvannpaillet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

can you tell me how you configure your VPN with the 515e.I have some problems with the vpn client it says fail to authenticate the user when i enter username and password.

my mail is : patmalick@yahoo.fr

Please help.

Hi

We have exactly the same problem with one of the laptops with Vista op sys. we removed the VPN client and re-install it and it worked. Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card