Views
Helpful
Replies

Incorrect Community Name

icolakicolak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm using HP OV Network Node Manager for monitoring network.

for tha past few weeks, four (out of 8) 2811 routers are reporting "Incorrec Community Name" auth failure traps. Snmp get commands were suposed to be generated by NNM (authAddr gives me that info), but I'm sure that RO community is same in NNM as one on routers.

Any suggestions?

BR,

Ivan

5 Replies 5

dany.datacraft
Level 1
Level 1

Dude, you're posting in wrong forum. But here's what I think you can do:

Sniff the traffic going to the 4 routers reporting auth failure traps, and find out whether or not the community is correct.

Alternatively you can run 'debug snmp packet' and 'debug snmp requests' in the router.

Hi Dany!

I tried with "debug snmp xxx" but I can't see anything. Nothink logs, after snmp get with incorrect community name is run.

Any suggestions?

That's why I posted message here.

Points guaranteed!

BR,

Ivan

Sniff the traffic and post the traces?

Hi Dany!

I've checkt sniffer log. What happens is that only once a day NNM uses incorrect community name.

So, read community is plinacro and NNM uses (as I said only once a day, few minutes after midnight) community: plinacro@1.

Any idea how to deal with it?

BR,

Ivan

Hi Dany!

I've just noticed that, when rediscovery is being done, suffix is attached on a community name. So, all devices have community name plinacro, and NNM polls devices with plinacro@600, plinacro@620 etc !!!

However, switches obviously can resolve “extended” community name, unlike routers which can't.

Any idea why is NNM doing that? Is that normal? Is there anything I can do to make routers able to “understand” extended community name?

Thanks for you time.

BR,

Ivan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: