Traffic analysis

Unanswered Question
Nov 13th, 2008

Hi all,

I'm writing a process that is to detail traffic characteristics of applications. This process will be used with another process for the purpose of putting new applications onto our network. The network itself is based on applications; and their consequent QoS ratings.

I'm a firm believer in ensuring that application's QoS ratings are determined primarily by the traffic characteristics. For example sensitive to lost packets or not, sensitive to latency or not, bursty or not bursty etc.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any standard way to test applications to get these characteristics? Currently I have to battle through wireshark and an old packeteer packet shaper to get rudimentary results. Assuming I don't have a budget to invest in the new version of CiscoWorks (which I'm told could help my endeavour), does anyone know if there's something that might guide me to what sort of traffic characteristics I should be looking for?

Also, does anyone know of an Internet repository that lists known traffic characteristics for common applications? eg citrix, http, RDP, CIFS etc??

Many thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

This Discussion