cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Finding an AP

da.beaver
Level 1
Level 1

I have what I consider a fairly large wireless network with around 700 Access Points, 2 WiSM chassis, and 4 WiSM modules. We are throwing access points out there like candy and we can have a little trouble finding exactly where they are sometimes.

I have an access point that doesn't have a name on it, just a MAC address. Is there anyway, I can use other access points to scan its location in WCS and get a heatmap of what access points its located closest to? I know what switch it's hanging off of, just not exactly where it is.

Thanks for any help.

David Beaver

5 Replies 5

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

do you have cdp enabled?

also, you can look at the switch mac db for base ethernet int of the radios

I do have it enabled and I am able to locate the access point via the switch. What I want to do is use WCS to physcially locate the access point based on the access points around it.

Just like when you can locate a rogue access point on a heat map in WCS, it would be nice to find a registered access point on the maps.

I'm looking but I do not see a feature like what you are asking for. It looks like Cisco only maps Rogue APs. Now with that said, this is just a theory, but is there a way to make the WCS think this AP in question is a rogue? If you could get it to come up as a rogue access Point then you'd see its guesstimated location.

Alternatively, if you MAP the AP on a test map, you should be able to click on the AP and see its "Rx Neighborhs Information" table. You could always try to make an educated guess yourself as to where the AP is based on the RSSI that it shows you in the table compared with the APs that it sees.

if you have CDP enabled, can't you just look on the WLC to see what neighbor switch and port the ap is connected to? This will at least get you closer. I know that if you have a CB21AG card and Aironet IE enabled, you can walk the area and it will give you the ap name that it is associated to. Just name the ap since it is on you WLC.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Now that's a good idea! Thanks Wesley. I can definitely map the AP on a test map and collect that data. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I don't know how I could get the AP to show up as a rogue, however I have seen that happen even though the AP was associated to the controller. I think that was a bug though in an earlier version.

Thanks again for the idea.

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card