cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

accelerating Powerbuilder app

axfalk
Level 1
Level 1

I was just wondering if anybody has had any luck improving the performance of the Powerbuilder app in a WAAS environment? We moved this app from the local server to the core and its performance has degraded substantially.

Thanks..

6 Replies 6

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

I would check to see if it is part of the default application policy.

if not, create a new application and classifier under device groups. The classifier can be set to the IP of the server or the TCP port number of the application. Powerbuilder is a database application, but not sure if what is using as a transport (ie: sql)

Thanks for your response.

It's not a database as such; - it's using its own proprietary data base system. The app is running locally on a PC, however the data files have been moved from the local server to the core, which is Windows 2003 server. We already have a connectivity directive to this server and it looks like powerbuider's using cifs for opening the files. However, it's very, very slow.

What version of WAAS are you using? Looks like less then 4.1

Check if SMB (digital)signing is required. If so, turn it off at server and client under local security policies.

Sounds like CIFS is not working properly. Let me know version you are running, and I will send you files services quickstart guide

Attached 4.0.13 files services quickstart

and cifs verify doc

Thanks for the files..Everything checks out OK. When I am doing sh cifs s l, I am seeing the session. However, the performance is still very slow. I am wondering if it's something specific to Powerbuilder. From what I understand, this program builds an app on the fly, using modules in different libraries, similar to what a compiler does when it creates a load module. I have ascertained all the libraries are in the same folder on the file server, however do not know where the latency is coming from. btw, we're running 4.0.19.

Thanks again..

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

BTW -

You can preposition the files the app is using. this will help response times.

Procedures can be found here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v411/configuration/guide/filesvr.html#Creating_a_Preposition_Directive