cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vtp default setting

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, if I have say 10 switches in my network, what is the default setting for vtp, are they all in server mode, so if I change 1 switch it wont affect the others?

2 Replies 2

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

Default VTP mode is server. However they will not send updates until a VTP domain name is configured.

You do not want to have all switches for VTP server. With multiple VTP servers in a LAN it is possible to overwrite the VTP configuration of the network should a trunk link go down and come back up.

I would set VTP mode to transparent on all switches. Or at two as servers (redundancy) and rest clients.

see campus design guides

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/HA_campus_DG/hacampusdg.html

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

I find that Transparent mode gives you more control over where you extend your broadcast domains. In such sitations you are specifically required to configure the vlan on switches.

Therefore transparent mode is better suited to static enviroments where you are not constantly moving ports between vlans across access switches.

It is alway good practice to ensure that VLANs are cleared of trunks where the are not necessary. If certain VLANs are not necessary at the edge, then VTP pruning should be enabled.

It is generally recommended that you should have two VTP server within the domain, specifically for redundancy purposes.

Most switches default to VTP server, therefore it is always prudent to ensure that you check VTP mode and revision before adding it to the network.

However, if your network remains constant and hosts are generally assigned geographically then there is little advantage in using or configuring switches as VTP clients.

I would not expect new VLANs to be added to the core device and then trunked to all access-switches. Otherwise broadcasts will be flooded across all trunks which have that VLAN memeber where the broadcast originated.

Take a look at this post, Edison sums up some of the important aspects of VTP:-

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&topicID=.ee71a04&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cc25b18

Hope this helps.

Allan.

Pls rate helpful posts.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card