cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Unified Messaging from 4.21 to 7.0!!!

jolo07310
Level 5
Level 5

Hi all,

We are going to upgrade Unified 4.21 to Unified 7.x. Currently, we have failover set up with CUCM 6.12 and will use same hardware (Server) for upgrade.

If someone have done that before, please let me know that if there is anything I need to aware of this kind of upgrade?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Kenneth,

The Reconfiguration and Upgrade Guide pretty much says it all:

Exchange:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/42/upgrade/guide/ex/ru_010.html#wp1328523

Domino:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/42/upgrade/guide/dom/ru_010.html#wp1328523

A lot of times people wonder if extending the schema for AD is required for a version upgrade, and the answer is yes, especially in your case; jumping 2 versions.

Hope this helps,

Brad

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Couple notes or advice:

- if you are on Windows 2000, plan on reloading from scratch.

- Review your server hardware. Not much sense in upgrading to Unity 7.x if you have old hardware. (may have to replace the server hardware next year, why not do it right now)

- If you have new hardware, load it up to 4.21 with windows 2003 and DIRT Back, DIRT restore. You are now "prepped" for the upgrade on your new hardware

- UPdate your schema, update your clients if you are using PCA (media bar) or ViewMail

- You can do a rolling upgrade is probably the method you want to use.

- purchase spare drives. You can use these drives for a quick rollback in the event the upgrade goes sideways.

- acquire correct license BEFORE you start.

- Rolling upgrade, failover to secondary server, pull drive on primary, run 7.x inplace and upgrade from 4.2.1

- Failback to primary, upgrade failover.

- test failover, failback, check for Engineering specials that may be used in your situation or have them downloaded in case you do need them.

The 7.x is similar to the rest of the Unity versions. (Exchange Clustering does not work yet, but coming, so you if you are clustering, I would hold off!) The upgrade process is similar from going from 4.x to 5.x.

Cheers

Hi,

I have just read this thread and wondered if you experienced any issues when performing the upgrade (assuming it has been done). I am just about to upgrade 4.2.1 to 7.x and would like a heads up if at all possible.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Has anyone upgraded to Unity 7.x without upgrading the viewmail client to Viewmail 7.x? Im just wondering if Unity 7.x is backwards compatable to the Unity 4.x viewmail client as I do not have the opportunity to test this in our lab at the moment. The Matrix shows that viewmail should be upgraded but I realize that is due to the fact that cisco cant test every version with each other..is there anything in the 7.x version which is required and would negate the use of the 4.x version of viewmail against Unity 7.x

Input is appreciated from those who have actually done this. Thanks.

sorry forgot to Add, customer is on Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2003.

Hi all -

Don't forget the 5.X upgrade license file, you'll need this to go from Unity 4.X to 7.X. If you are moving to new server, you will also need licensing@cisco.com to "rehost" all of your current license files to the new server MAC.

Ginger

Hi all -

Don't forget the 5.X upgrade license file, you'll need this to go from Unity 4.X to 7.X. If you are moving to new server, you will also need licensing@cisco.com to "rehost" all of your current license files to the new server MAC.

Ginger