Views
Helpful
Replies

ADSL Router with PPTP Client ?

Gomjaba08
Level 1
Level 1

Hiya,

Does Cisco has ADSL Router which have build in pptp vpn clients like the Draytek router ?

It is not quite clear on the website whether the 877 for example supports just pptp passthrough or whether it actually has a client build in ...

8 Replies 8

sadbulali
Level 4
Level 4

Cisco 870 Series of integrated services routers are fixed-configuration routers that support multiple types of DSL technologies, broadband cable, and Metro Ethernet connections in small offices.They also support Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) passthrough.

So I guess it is a no then :(

I guess you can't configure 877 as PPTP client to connect to some PPTP server. Why not to use IPSec instead which provides much more stronger authentication? You could use here EZVPN which is a beautiful feature of Cisco routers.

This link may help as well:

http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nas/2004-March/000559.html

Please rate if helpful.

Remi

We have those VPN server mainly for our customer in place. The VPN Server are based on Server 2003 RRAS .. With those VPN server we give customer the option to login to their server via the private interface.

IPSec would simply add to the complexicity... We need to make sure that EVERY customer, no matter what his circumstances are, are able to login .. So PPTP is unfortunately the way to go and cannot be changed any time soon. The Drayteks do a good job but crashing every know and then and we therefore look for a replacement .. but shockingly - there are none :(

It's sad but true. I guess the PPTP is getting a bit out of the market due to its week authentication therefore people go for IPSec best if with RSA authentication but preshare will also do the job. We had PPTP in place with termination on 2003 RRAS but only for employees on travel, all other offices were terminated on IPSec.

IPSec is not that complex as it looks. If you have static IP addresses at each location you just do simple config for IPsec site2site in transport mode and tunnel it with GRE. You could still use PPTP as pass through for those employees on the road. NAT config for IPSec can be a bit of hassle but once you've got a grasp of IPSec it will become fairly easy.

If no static IP addresses you could use EZPVN in NEM, it also works great.

That would work for our technical staff .. But it is simply not doable for our customer .. We are talking about 5k different accounts here :)

Oh, that changes the whole picture! I'll take a look once again towards your solution. Will be in touch.

Thanks a lot :)

We wouldn't have a problem with the Draytek router, but their firmeware is unstable and their support rubbish ..

Draytek is one of the companies who prefer to add new features rather than making the current ones stable :(

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: