Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with compiling signatures 5.x on router 1812

seteshpl123
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to enable IPS on my Cisco Router 1812. If I configure basic IPS settings (category all; retired true; category ios_ips basic; retired false;) and then use the latest signature pkg pack during copying them into idconf, I get following error:

%SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation of 385 bytes failed from 0x625FBA70, alignment 0

Pool: Processor Free: 156052 Cause: Memory fragmentation

Alternate Pool: None Free: 0 Cause: No Alternate pool

-Process= "Exec", ipl= 0, pid= 3, -Traceback= 0x60D82A54 0x6026B23C 0x60271078 0x60272184 0x6298FE04 0x625FBA78 0x625C6DF0

and my router reboots and signatures are not loaded into router and I cannot use built-in IPS. What is interesting when I use old signatures everything goes fine. Any ideas what can be the reason (in the future I would like to enable auto-response and would like to have no suprises like unexpected reboots:)). Thanks!

1 Reply 1

smahbub
Level 6
Level 6

The explanation of the error message is as follows:

%SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation of [X] bytes failed from

0x6015EC84, pool [Pool], alignment 0 -Process=

"[Process]" ipl= 6, pid=5

[X] = the number of bytes the router tried to allocate, but could not find enough free memory to do so

[Pool] indicates whether the processor memory ('Pool Processor') or the packet memory ('pool I/O') is affected. High end routers (7000, 7500 series) have their buffers in main dynamic random-access memory (DRAM), so a lack of packet memory will be reported as "pool processor". 7200 series and Versatile Interface Processor (VIP) cards may also report errors in pool Protocol Control Information ('pool PCI')" for the packet memory.

[Process] is the process that was affected by the lack of memory.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card