Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange issue w/ Cisco 1100 AP

Hello everyone.

I have a strange problem with a wireless network that I support. It is in a 2 story medical office. There are 4 Cisco 1100 access points downstairs and one upstairs. People lose connection to the upstairs access point.

If I disconnect it from power for a while and reconnect, it will sometimes work for a bit and then the problem reoccurs. It will show an excellent connection but with a "limited or no connectivity" error.

Users will be connected downstairs and when they come upstairs, they will remain connected through a downstairs AP and will ignore the AP right next to them upstairs. Sometimes this will work for them and sometimes they will lose connection all together. All APs have default settings aside from a static IP address and mandatory WEP keys. They all share the same SSID and WEP key so users should be able to roam around without a problem.

I have tried swapping the access point, moving to different locations, setting it to default and reconfiguring, and using an AC adapter instead of the power injector without improvement. I have also tested all cables going from the AP to the switch and have also tried different switch ports. I will be sitting next to the upstairs AP and get "limited or no connectivity" then walk down the hall and get a great connection to an AP from downstairs through the floor.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. It's driving me nuts.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Make sure they are all on different channels otherwise you will get inteference from one AP to another . Its also possible you are getting interference from someone else in the building.You should telnet into the ap and see if there is anything in the logs and if anyone is associated with ap and see what the signal strength is. What kind of switch is it hooked to . Make sure you don't have a speed/duplex mismatch between the switch and ap though that has nothing to do with the signal strength . You can also turn up the radio strength is its not already at max.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Make sure they are all on different channels otherwise you will get inteference from one AP to another . Its also possible you are getting interference from someone else in the building.You should telnet into the ap and see if there is anything in the logs and if anyone is associated with ap and see what the signal strength is. What kind of switch is it hooked to . Make sure you don't have a speed/duplex mismatch between the switch and ap though that has nothing to do with the signal strength . You can also turn up the radio strength is its not already at max.

Thanks. I turned the strength up and made sure it was already on a different channel than the others. I made sure the switch port wasn't set at a conflicting speed. I'm going to see how it goes for a few days. I'll let you know. I appreciate the help.

Things have been good for a couple weeks now so I think the issue is resolved. Thanks for the advise. Kept me from pulling my hair out. Have a good holiday.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: