cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VRRP multicast packets are not populated over other ports of same switch

ric_opsdata
Level 1
Level 1

I have two cisco 4948 switches. First switch is Connected to master firewall and the second switch connected to the backup firewall.these two switches are inerconnected using a trunk port.On first switch Loadbalacer1 is connected and to the second switch Loadbalancer2 is connected. the Loadbalancers are in VRRP( Master- backup). but when I am connecting Loadbalancer 2 to second switch both loadbalcers are becoming Master- Master.While capturing the packets it is observerd that the vrrp multicasting requsets are reaching till the trunk port of SW2 where SW1 is conneted and not reveived by any other ports of SW2 there by the loadbalancer 2 is going to master. Need your help to find out why any other ports of SW 2 is not receiving the vrrp multicast packets from SW1 though its interconnected.

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ric

What is the actual multicast address being used ?

You have the same vlans on both 4948 switches and the vlan that the load-balancers are in has not be removed from the trunk ?

Jon

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ric,

may you ping from loadbalancer1 to loadbalancer2 ?

I'm afraid the two vlans are partioned at the trunk.

Verify with

sh interface gx/y switchport

if there is a native vlan mismatch this could cause these issues

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card