cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Encapsulation mode Router-on-a-stick

Reza Rezazadeh
Level 1
Level 1

I want to use router-on-a-stick method on cisco 2600 , after creating a sub-interface, can not use "encapsulation" command to define encapsulation method and it's vlan .

How to correct this that can use "encapsulation" command ?

The IOS version is 12.2(3) .

12 Replies 12

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

12.2 should support router on a stick

What is the exact error you are getting? can we have a look at the configuration

Narayan

All action that I do and the error that occur is attached.

hi Reza,

after sub interface

write

Router (config-subif)# encapsula dot1q (X)-> This should be the VLAN name or Number

Then Ip address

hi alex

look at the picture attach to this post carefully.

after log in to subinterface , I type e?

only command that display is "exit" .

may be the IOS don't identify "encapsulation" command.

Best regards

Reza

As per Mohamed's post you need to use Feature Navigator. For your version of IOS you need a minimum feature set of IP Plus to support 802.1q encapsulation.

If the command is not available then i suspect your feature set is just IP.

Jon

Hi,

could you let us know what IOS are you using and also try to write the Encapsulation in full text okay

HTH

DAK

Hi

I was test this by the original IOS of my router "c2600-i-mz.122-2.T1.bin" but can't do this and upgrade the IOS to "c2600-io3-mz[1].122-3" , but also can't. I thik that the IOS don't supprt this feature after test with Cisco Feature Navigator.

I was write the command completely but can't.

Reza

Please post ouput of "sh version"

Jon

show ver output attached.

Reza

You are using IP/FW/IDS feature set. This does not support 802.1q encapsulation. If you want to use 802.1q you will need to change the feature set of your IOS. You can still use 12.2(3) but IP Plus is the minimum to support 802.1q - image file name is c2600-is-mz.122-3.bin.

But you also need to check if you are losing any features by changing the feature set. For a start is there a reason you are running the FW/IDS feature set ie. are you using the firewalling or IDS features ?

This is why using Feature Navigator as suggested by Mohamed is what you need to do.

Jon

Hello -

I'm having a similar issue, my dilemma is that I don't know what feature set I'm running now, or how to choose IP Plus. I tried the Feature Navigator, and it asks me what feature set I'm running now (I don't know.)

My "Show Ver" tells me that I'm running 3600 software (c3620-I-M) Version 12.2(2)T Release Candidate (fc1) but I'm not sure how to proceed from here - I need to identify the correct file to download with IP Plus feature set to be able to implement dot1q encapsulation.

Thanks!

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

For further info, please check Cisco Feature Navigator:

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

HTH

Mohamed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card