cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multihoming

dmbaricuatro
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 857 routers, 1 is connected to my corporate vpn and 1 is connected through the internet. Both are connected to one server. Having multiple gateways creates a problem. I need help for this.

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Davy Ad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dennis,

Though i don't really know what you want but i will advice you to go for load balancing MHSRP will be the best bet for you.

HTH

DAK

hi,

thanks. load balancing is not the issue, 1 router is used for corporate VPN users, without direct access to the internet. the other router has internet access for users that has no access to our corporate VPN. On my server i configured two gateways, which works for sometime, but fails most of the time, that i would need to restart both routers. how will i implement such that i would not have problems knowing that i configured multiple gateways in the server. i have cisco 857 router.

thanks again

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dennis

Do you mean having 2 default-gateways for your server is creating problems ?

If so you are limited in what you can do. Easiest thing is

1) Pick the default-gateway that most of the traffic goes through from the server and make this the default-gateway on the server.

2) then you will need to add static routes for the other remote networks on the server pointing to the second router.

Maintaining multiple static routes on a server is not ideal. Your other option would be to

1) make the most used 857 the default-gateway for the server as before

2) Add routes on that router for the remote subnets reachable via the other router and route them back out the inside interface of one 857 to the other.

Jon

jon,

can you give me more details about the 2nd option?

Dennis

R1 = 857 to Internet

R2 = 857 to corporate VPN

Server has default-gateway set to inside interface of R1. So all packets are sent to R1 regardless of the destination.

Now i'm assuming that R1 can talk to R2 on their inside interfaces and vice-versa. If so lets say a packet was sent from the server to 192.168.5.10 which is reachable via R2. Now because of the default-gateway on the server the packet will go to R1. If you then had a route on R1

ip route 192.168.5.0 255.255.255.0

then R1 would route the packets back out if it's inside interface to R2's inside interface. From there R2 can route the packet to the remote end.

Jon

Got it.

Thanks jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card