Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to control boot order

gautamzone
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends,

There is a Cisco 4507RE Switch running Cisco IOS 12.2(44)SG Enterprise image.

The image is available in bootflash and slot0: file systems.

I am specifying the boot order as

1. Slot 0

2. Bootflash

However, i am unable to control the boot order. The exact commands that i specify are:

boot system flash slot0:cat4500e-entservices-mz.122-44.SG.bin

boot system flash bootflash:cat4500e-entservices-mz.122-44.SG.bin

However, bootflash seems to be always prioritized inspite of me giving slot0 as the first option. Any idea as to why it always load the bootflash image first though in my priority list, i am giving slot0: as the first in priority?

Just one thing that i also wanted to add was that when i press Break key and boot into Rommon, if i specify boot slot0:<image>, only then it boots from slot0: media.

Thanks a lot

Gautam

3 Replies 3

Check the config-register, it needs to be 0x0102 to boot using the boot commands in the configuration. Use the command 'show bootvar' to see what is currently set. You can change the value in global config:

switch(config)#config-register 0x0102

HTH

Andy

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Andrew is correct your boot order is currently being handled by the config register , more than likely it is currently 0x2101 which means it will load the first image it finds in bootflash . Just change the config register as Andrew said and reboot the switch.

muradmahiuddin
Level 1
Level 1

What is the value of config register.

The config register set to 0x2102.

Also please see the output of bootvar.

sh bootvar. Make sure the the bootvar is pointing to the slot0.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco