Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM installation on two partitions

goranpilat
Level 3
Level 3

Hi everybody!

I have a strange requirement from my customer. He wants to have his CCM installed in such a way that he has one version of the software installed on one partition on the disk, but when he makes an upgrade, that the upgrade is done on other partition, leaving the first one intact (for backup I suppose??). Can anything like this be done? Only thing that crosses my mind is to pull out one of the mirrored disks and perform upgrade on the other one, leaving the first one as backup. His requirement seems absurd, but I have to respond on this as either being possible or not.

Thanks for any suggestions...

goran

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

use a linux appliance version 5.X or later to do that, the system itself does that without even asking you if you want it or not

you will have active and inactive partition and you can rollback to previous version if needed.

really CUCM 101 question

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

use a linux appliance version 5.X or later to do that, the system itself does that without even asking you if you want it or not

you will have active and inactive partition and you can rollback to previous version if needed.

really CUCM 101 question

HTH

java

HTH

java

Thanks for the help, I knew this can be done on linux version, but wasn't sure if this was what they were looking for.

regards,

goran

well, the other way is indeed possible and guides recommend it but back at TAC those were a real headache since many, many times something failed when pulling and inserting drives. the official position is that it should be avoided but they have never taken that out from guides. now with linux versions it's not necessary but still the info is on the guides for windows versions

if they want a backup simply use BARS or DRS for that purpose.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

This is only available in CCM 5.x and above.

By default, when you do an upgrade, the server installs the upgraded sotware into a new partition called the inactive partition. After your upgrade , you can then choose to switch to the new partion which contains your upgraded CCMor the server can automatically switch over for you if you select the option during your upgrade.

This features gives you the flexibility of a roll back should there be any major problems with the upgrade.

HTH

Please rate all useful posts
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: