cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mgt interface stuck in init state

nygenxny123
Level 1
Level 1

I can not connect to my mgt minterface on my mds 9509.

The only thing that looks odd is the mgt interface status. Is this normal?

Interface Status IP Address Speed MTU

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mgmt0 init 10.1.1.24/24 100 Mbps 1500

MDS-switch-A# sh int mgmt 0

mgmt0 is down (Initializing)

Hardware is GigabitEthernet

Address is 001a.e203.8af8

Internet address is 10.1.1.26/24

MTU 1500 bytes

0 packets input, 0 bytes

0 multicast frames, 0 compressed

0 input errors, 0 frame, 0 overrun 0 fifo

0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 fifo

0 carrier errors

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I'm assuming that the mgmt interface is not working and you are using the console port to view and collect these displays? Init state is what it would look like if the cable was not connected and the Ethernet chip was trying to determine the speed/duplex of the connection. If you try a cross over cable between a laptop and the MDS mgmt port, does the link come up? If the laptop works okay, and the link fails to come up with a cross over in place, I would suspect that the mgmt port on the MDS has failed. The IP address and gateway will not come into play until the physical link has completed initialization. It is most definitely a physical layer issue if the mgmt port is not working. If the mgmt port is working, then it's a cosmetic issue that needs to be investigated further. I suggested a laptop that works and a back to back connection to eliminate ethernet switch config or hardware for the testing.

Hope this helps,

Mike

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Gary Ross
Level 4
Level 4

First thing I noticed is that you have 2 diffeent IP addresses in your output. One is set to x.x.x.26 while the other shows x.x.x.24.

The other thing I would look at is the default gateway to ensure this is correct but I think the different IP addresses is where I would start.

hmm not sure where they 4 came from..but here is the status now..still in init..and here is the config..etc..

Interface Status IP Address Speed MTU

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mgmt0 init 10.1.1.26/24 100 Mbps 1500

XP-24000-MDS-switch-A# sh run int mgmt 0

version 3.2(2c)

interface mgmt0

ip address 10.1.1.26 255.255.255.0

XP-24000-MDS-switch-A# sh int mgmt 0

mgmt0 is down (Initializing)

Hardware is GigabitEthernet

Address is 001a.e203.8af8

Internet address is 10.1.1.26/24

MTU 1500 bytes

0 packets input, 0 bytes

0 multicast frames, 0 compressed

0 input errors, 0 frame, 0 overrun 0 fifo

0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 fifo

0 carrier errors

Gary Ross
Level 4
Level 4

I'm assuming you're on or looking at the active supervisor since I'm not seeing "standby" in your cli prompt.

What do you get when you issue the following command?

sh ip default-gateway

I'm assuming you're also using a straight through patch cable to connect the management ports to a switch/hub and that the port you're connected to on the switch/hub is set to 100 Full and the MTU is set to 1500.

interface fc4/45

interface fc4/46

interface fc4/47

interface fc4/48

ip default-gateway 10.1.1.1

switchname XP-24000-MDS-switch-A

role name default-role

description This is a system defined role and applies to all users

rule 1 permit show feature system

The show ip default-gateway did not work..so

I posted the config..

Yep this is connected to a cat switch..straight through....im trying to verify 100 full settings

You think this could be a physical layer issue?..I have never really seen "init"

on an interface description

I'm assuming that the mgmt interface is not working and you are using the console port to view and collect these displays? Init state is what it would look like if the cable was not connected and the Ethernet chip was trying to determine the speed/duplex of the connection. If you try a cross over cable between a laptop and the MDS mgmt port, does the link come up? If the laptop works okay, and the link fails to come up with a cross over in place, I would suspect that the mgmt port on the MDS has failed. The IP address and gateway will not come into play until the physical link has completed initialization. It is most definitely a physical layer issue if the mgmt port is not working. If the mgmt port is working, then it's a cosmetic issue that needs to be investigated further. I suggested a laptop that works and a back to back connection to eliminate ethernet switch config or hardware for the testing.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Yes we are connecting remotely via console cable.

I will try your suggestion and report back..thx!

cabling issue..thx!