Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP with Four L3 Switches

davidhuynh5
Level 1
Level 1

Can you run HSRP with four L3 switches

(1 active and 3 standbys)? How can I load balance between them? I'm assuming that that a routed connection would be required between the L3 switches correct?

thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David

For HSRP/GLBP to work the switches need L2 adjacency. You can connect up your switches with L3 if you want but then if the switches only interconnect via L3 then HSRP/GLBP will not work.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

David

You can run HSRP across 4 switches if you want although the switches would need to be interconnected with a L2 link and not a routed connection as HSRP packets are contained with vlans.

If you wanted to load balance you could use MHSRP but this is not very flexible compared to GLBP. GLBP would be the choice if you wanted to load balance. Again you would need L2 connectivity between your switches -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t15/feature/guide/ft_glbp.html

Jon

Hi Jon,

just to understand it clearly. I would need a trunk connection not a routed connection?

Strange I was told by cisco that I could do layer 3 and not worry about layer 2. Very confusing.

David

For HSRP/GLBP to work the switches need L2 adjacency. You can connect up your switches with L3 if you want but then if the switches only interconnect via L3 then HSRP/GLBP will not work.

Jon

You can certainly run HSRP across 4 switches. All you need to make sure is that the HSRP priorities are set properly on all the routers and they all are preempting.

I totally agree with Jon to use GLBP instead of HSRP if you want to loadbalance across them

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: