Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM 5.1 Upgrade thoughts

sundarr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I read the forums posts regarding the CCM upgrades and still got some unanswered queries.

1. Consider I have CCM 5.1 on MCS 7825 Server Active partition. When going for a upgrade, the system installs all the CCM6.1 on the inactive partition.

While doing this upgrade, is it advisable to move the publisher on a separate network so ( Dialplan/locale/ 3rd party application/devicepack Installation) that above can be completed successfully on the publisher and this will not affect the IP phones which are registered to the subscriber which will still runs on 5.1 version ?

( we have customers IPT serving multiple geographies and I need to ensure that minimal downtime is present and hence this query)

Once the upgrade is successfully when the publisher is connected back to network, whether the system will retain the old data or we need to configure it from scratch.

2.When we use PAT, Cisco will provide new node licenses for CCM 6.1 .What about the DLU on the Pub.?Existing DLU registered on CCM5.1 when used on CCM 6.1 will it be working automatically?

3.Consider customer has one 5.1.1 on the inactive partition and 5.1.2 on the active partition.During the upgrade whether system will delete the old 5.1.1 automatically and installs 6.1.2 or it will state no space avaialble and halt the installation ?

4.As the upgrade path doesnt allow customers to go directly for 6.1.2 from 5.1.1 in a single maintenance window, is it advisable to first upgrade them to 6.1.1 and then move to 6.1.2 on a second maintenace window or carry out everything in a single maintenace window

Anythoughts regarding this much appreciated

regards

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. you cannot switch partitions if the upgrade has not been applied to all servers in the cluster, so there is no point on taking the server out of production unless you want to switch partitions, intall, rollback. but in the meantime any DB related process won't work, UFF will fail.

2 DLUs will still work, just make sure to get the feature license to start services.

3. install takes place on inactive and wipes out whatever version was there before

4. depends on how much time you're willing to give to perform the upgrade, if you can set time to do both steps then do it that way. if not then schedule 2 maintenance windows.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

Hi

Thanks for answering the query.

Regarding the first response, I will switch it to the active version on the Pub once all the packages are installed successfully.When the system bounces for the first time it will not have the correct DP,Locale, Device pack,3rd party software and hence I need to apply this and then restart the servers.During this window I need to keep the subcriber with 5.1 serving the entire network.

When the system gets installed from 5.1 to 6.1 will it retain the configurations or we have to start it from scratch.?

NO, you need to switch, THEN install packages.

it's not possible to install new version on inactive and at the same time install packages, well, it won't even let you since 5.x will return an error if you try to install anything for 6.x

if it's an upgrade as any other upgrade information is retained.

new installs do need to recreate all

HTH

java

HTH

java

Hi Java

Yes I will be switching to new version and install the packages.When I switchover if iam connected to the LAN, immediately allthe phones will bounce to PUB which I dont want as I want to ensure all packages installations are completed successfully and then it is moved to the network

Also upgrading 5.1.1 first 6.1.1 and then to 6.1.2 on a single maintenance window will wipe off the old 5.1.1 version and I will not have the chance to switch back to 5.1.1 on a worst case scenario.

regards

Hi,

I am first time user of netpro. can you pl help me how to post my questions on netpro.

Thanks & Regards,

Nishit

Hi,

I am first time user of netpro. can you pl help me how to post my questions on netpro.

Thanks & Regards,

Nishit

If you have registered with Cisco.com then use the following link, if not the link will guide you through the registration. Once you're registered use the same link to post your questions. On the top right side you can chose the forum you're interesed and submit your queries.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&needs_authentication=yes&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dadd_discussion%26mode%3Dshow%26needs_authentication%3Dyes%26location%3D.ee6c829

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: