Views
Helpful
Replies

Redirect using Static NAT

luke.knight
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to redirect traffic for a specific IP address to another device (for DR testing purposes).

There are a handful of wireless AP's that communicate with a controller. The controller is located at another site and connects through a Cisco 2800 router.

WAPs/LAN --> Router --> WAN --> Router --> Controller.

We need to configure a spare controller in the LAN (or connected directly to the router) and redirect the WAP's to the new controller.

I know how to setup Static NAT and specify inside/outside interfaces... But how do I configure it to hairpin the traffic back on the same interface?

4 Replies 4

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Confused - why not just configure the extra controller - then have the AP's join that controller? instead of the existing?

HTH>

Good question. They are performing DR testing and don't want to re-route the whole subnet. The DR servers are on a local subnet, and the controller then handles the client redirection to the DR server.

Sorry - but in the real world, DR testing does actually require some down time and configuration tasks.

Why would you need to re-route the whole subnet? Where does the backup WLC actually come into this?

Does your DR use the same IP subnet and the live?

Yes, we expect downtime and configuration.

The WAPs are manually configured with the Controller's IP address (it's not a Cisco by the way).

For testing purposes, they have borrowed another wireless controller and plan to implement it in their DR site which is in their main office on seperate subnets.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card