Views
Helpful
Replies

Traceroute ....

InternetB
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a question with regards to traceroute ... When I do a traceroute, at times I see something lke this ...

1 10.10.10.10 4 msec 0 msec 4 msec

10.10.10.11 4 msec 0 msec 4 msec

10.10.10.10 4 msec 0 msec 4 msec

2 10.10.11.1 0 msec 0 msec 0 msec

3 172.31.2.4 16 msec 4 msec 8 msec

My questions is why are we seeing 3 IPs like in the 1st hop ? What does it mean ?

Thank you,

Cheers,

- InternetB -

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You will see this when the router has multiple paths to the same destination.

So if you log onto the first hop router and and do a "sh ip route" you should see 2 next-hops for the destination IP address you are tracerouting to.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You will see this when the router has multiple paths to the same destination.

So if you log onto the first hop router and and do a "sh ip route" you should see 2 next-hops for the destination IP address you are tracerouting to.

Jon

Just to add to Jon's post that this will be the case only when you try to trace from a cisco device and not from a desktop.

This is because the packets originated from the cisco device are process switched and hence the 3 trace probes are sent in a loadbalanced fashion.

Trace packets from a desktop would be CEF switched to a flow path already established and will not exhibit this behavior

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card