Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth of Applications

helios999
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In the company where I worked we uses Cisco 3560 as the core switch. I was assigned to limit the bandwidth usage of each computers in our network.

Can you help me guys in determining the bandwidth used in the ff application below:

1. Web

2. Oracle Application - Web Based

3. YM

4. IP Phones

5. Skype

Hope you help me guys. Thanks.

8 Replies 8

chrisa123
Level 1
Level 1

There are several good bandwidth monitoring tools available. NetFlow Analyzer allows you to monitor bandwidth by application. Bandwidth usage per application gives you instant visibility into which applications are using up maximum bandwidth. http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/netflow/help/view-traffic/top-applications.html

WhatsUp Gold 12.0 is another one thats popular.

CNA Cisco network assistant would also be helpful

Hi chrisa123,

Thanks for the reply. I have read you link and it says that it will not support Cisco 3500 so I can't use it. I have tried the Cisco Network Assistant and it's great but I still want something that CNA can't handle, calculating the bandwidth based on the protocol used. It would be much easier to monitor the bandwidth knowing the protocol it uses. Hope you know a bandwidth meter that I can used.

Hi helios,

Can you help in how we can assign limit of band width to each computer as it is needfull to me to implement in my company.

Regards,

Naidu.

Hi,

Inorder to monitor the bandwidth of each applications we can use the inbuilt functions of a router rather than external tools.

1. Find what the is the IP address and port number of the servers or computer in your organisations

2 Create access-lists matching teh same

3. Create a class-maps and policy-map to set some dscp values in the ingress

4. Create one more policy-map and class-map matching the dscp values and do not mention any bandwidth commands.

5. apply the policy-map in the egress

6. During peak business hours, give teh following command

sh policy-map int X/Y(Egress port)

check for the offered rate for each class which will give you the required bandwidth details.

If you want to apply a limit for bandwidth,

apply the police command on the egress policy-map.

I hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinath Muralidhara

Cable&Wireless

+91 99809 30364

Hi Srinath,

Can you please kindly explain more each instructions that you gave and give a specific commands?

I have not yet tried using the ingress part.

Hope you reply. Thanks.

Hey buddy,

if you can drop an email to me, i can send you sample config list.

Regards,

Srinath M

srinath.muralidharan@cw.com

+91 99809 30364

Hi Srinath,

I have sent you an email already. Thanks for the help.

Hi Naidu,

Can I have a little background with your network setup and the Cisco Devices your company is using?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: