Views
Helpful
Replies

Help to advice diagram

rechard_david
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All Expert,

Right now i would like change system and draw new diagram, but i had some issue,

I had cisco Router 2821, Cisco switch 3550 2 units, and i would like to use fail over connection, and my issue that i don't know how to assign ip address on client because it has two gateway i mean has primary and secondary.

Note: all switch i did intervlan.

Please see in the attach file.

Best Regards,

Rechard

5 Replies 5

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If I understand your question correctly, you'll want to look into something like HSRP or GLBP for failover. HSRP is strictly for failover, whereas GLBP performs load balancing.

Your clients will use 1 gateway ip address because both HSRP and GLBP use virtual IPs.

Example:

Switch 1:

int vlan30

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

standby 1 ip 192.168.1.1

Switch 2:

ip address 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0

standby 1 ip 192.168.1.1

If this isn't what you need, you may need to elaborate a little more.

--John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Dear J.blakley

Thank you for you help :)

So i'm not clear your confige that you gave me,

could you give me more detail?and i not clear about routing and do we need add any command like you told me HSRP and GLBP.

Please see in the attach file.

on primary switch i use Vlan 30 and did interVlan and client use ip 192.168.7.254 for gateway but i had secondary switch and use inter Vlan 30 the same primary switch but it different ip add 192.168.7.253, So when the primary link down it switch to secondary but it different ip add on client.

How i can do ?

Could you give me more command on this issue?

Very thank for your help!!!!

Best Regards,

Rechard

If the client is using 192.168.7.254 for the gateway, then you need to change a couple of things.

On Your primary switch, you would change:

int vlan30

ip address 192.168.7.252 255.255.255.0

standby 30 ip 192.168.7.254

standby 30 priority 105

standby 30 preempt

On your secondary switch:

int vlan30

ip address 192.168.7.253 255.255.255.0

standby 30 ip 192.168.7.254

standby 30 preempt

The priority default level is 100. The preempt command allows the secondary switch to take over as the primary if the primary goes down. Your clients can still keep the same gateway IP. After the configuration is complete, you can test by pinging the 192.168.7.254 address from a workstation, and while pinging, shutdown the vlan30 interface on the primary switch. Your secondary switch should automatically come up, and you shouldn't lose any packets in your ping.

HTH,

John

Dear J.blakley,

Oh!!! Could i ask you one more question that for HSRP is it support on ASA? i had 2 ASA and connected only one switch and all the client it use two gateway so how can i do the same switch( i mean it has virtual IP address).

Best Regards,

Join

HSRP isn't supported on the ASA line. You would need to configure Active/Standby configuration. The clients would use your active ASA all of the time unless it went down, then everything switches over to the standby in the case of your active going down.

Otherwise, your ASA would still use the virtual IP address of the switches if you had hsrp configured on the switches.

HTH,

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card