Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting Gbic/SFIP serial numbers inside switch

Starthorn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to get the serial number and Model number from Gbics/SFIP.

What are the commands to get this information in 2960s and 2980s and 3550s

6 Replies 6

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Brandon,

You can use the "show inventory" command on your switch to find the GBIC/SFP serial number.

HTH,

Mark

Thanks. That works for the 3550s and the 2960s but it wont work for the 2980s...Wait..It only works on 2 of my switches a 3550 and a 2980. the other 3550s just show invald input detected. I know I'm spelling it right

Does the 2980 run CatOS? I have yet to run into one of those switches. If so I am not sure how to get the information from the switch.

Mark

They are strange. Most commands are different in them.

In some of my 3550s and 2960s show inventory does not work. Do you know of a setting that could be blocking this command?

I don't believe there is a particular setting preventing you from viewing the serial numbers.

you should try

"show inventory raw"

or

"show controllers ethernet-controller giX/X phy"

or

"sh idprom interface gix/x

You must have an older IOS which is probably why the serials are not showing via the show inventory command.

Mark

2980's are catos and don't believe there is any way to get gbic serial info off of those. Mark is correct on the 3550 , it should work if your IOS is newer , if not then you won't have that command.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: