Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network upgrade question...

Can a Catalyst 3750 switch replace a HP procurve switch without much configuration?

other than configuring the ports, there just needs to be a route on the 3750 pointing all traffic to the gateway correct?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

then all you will need is a IP address and default gateway for management access to the switch.

Conf t - interface vlan X

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

no shut

ip default gateway x.x.x.x

View solution in original post

does the remote switch connect to a router?

or is it just a fiber run to another building?

Not sure I understand what the topology is.

If you are connecting to the remote site via WAN router then the vlan number doesnt matter. You are routing subnets not vlans. The default route for client will be that of the remote router

at its simplest form, you should put all ports into the vlan and manage through the vlan interface.

if you are extending the vlan from your office across layer two, then just add users ports to the vlan, and create another ip address for the switch

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It depends on how its being used . Is being used as strictly a layer 2 switch or are you routing with the switch and using dynamic routing protocols or static routes ?

i think i am just going to leave it as strictly a layer 2 switch..

static routes will be kept on the router not switch at this location...

then all you will need is a IP address and default gateway for management access to the switch.

Conf t - interface vlan X

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

no shut

ip default gateway x.x.x.x

ok i did exactly what you suggested on this new switch..

I did a show interfaces status... and this is what i got...

Fa3/0/1 notconnect 1 auto auto 10/100BaseTX

Fa3/0/2 notconnect 1 auto auto 10/100BaseTX

Fa3/0/3 notconnect 1 auto auto 10/100BaseTX

Fa3/0/4 notconnect 1 auto auto 10/100BaseTX

Fa3/0/5 notconnect 1 auto auto 10/100BaseTX

Fa3/0/6 notconnect 1 auto auto 10/100BaseTX

Fa3/0/7 notconnect 1 auto auto 10/100BaseTX

Fa3/0/8 notconnect 1 auto auto 10/100BaseTX

i changed the mangement VLAN to 21, but is it okay to leave these at Vlan1 ? and it should work like the dummy HP Procurve?

ofcourse i only shown the first 8...i didnt want to make it redundant :)

You won't be able to have the management vlan in 21 and the ports in one unless you plan on trunking to the layer 3 device doing the routing. If the management vlan 21 is the same as the user vlan then set all the ports into vlan 21.

well...since its a remote location, should it be on the same VLAN as it is in my building or can it be on 21?

all my workstations in my building are on VLAN 16... ofcourse everything in my building is going to the default gateway...and everything in the remote location is being point to my router in my building which is going to the default gateway..

Any thoughts?

does the remote switch connect to a router?

or is it just a fiber run to another building?

Not sure I understand what the topology is.

If you are connecting to the remote site via WAN router then the vlan number doesnt matter. You are routing subnets not vlans. The default route for client will be that of the remote router

at its simplest form, you should put all ports into the vlan and manage through the vlan interface.

if you are extending the vlan from your office across layer two, then just add users ports to the vlan, and create another ip address for the switch

it connects to a Cisco 2800 router which connects to our metro to our building..

basically what i just did was...

#1 gave the switch an ip address

#2 set the default gateway of the inside interface of the metro router which connects back to us

#3 and set the VLAN management to 21 (since cisco recommends not to leave it at 1)

so all my ports on this should have..

switchport access VLAN 21 .... correct?

Then i should be good to go! right?

Great that will work fine

DAK

i think i am just going to leave it as strictly a layer 2 switch..

static routes will be on this one..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco