cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Range of 1250 Access Point

olivier.noel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, what is the range for the 1250 model ?? It doesn't appear in the datasheet ! Thx

3 Replies 3

wesleyterry
Level 3
Level 3

I don't think manufacturers like to estimate "range" since this number depends on to many external variables. However, the wiki article ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11 ) for 802.11n estimates range at 70 meters (230') compared to 38 meters (125') of 802.11g. I think these are indoor numbers in an open/cubicle environment at maximum throughput.

I'm guessing Cisco doesn't want to dig itself into a hole by marketing ranges that may not be possible.

ckelly
Level 1
Level 1

42! Which is as good an answer as any. The 70m range might work open air, no obstructions. In the real world - that's why you hang 'em like ornaments from the ceiling tiles with coat hanger wire and do a site survey.

gamccall
Level 4
Level 4

Cisco offers 5000 square feet per AP as a very rough rule of thumb for indoor WLAN design. That works out to a cell radius of about 40 feet.

You don't know anything for sure until you do a survey, though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: