cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ip nat

rezaul.karim
Level 1
Level 1

One servers ip is 172.16.5.x this is connected through one path (path1) and secondary ip is 10.10.2.x through another path(path2)

Want to communicate to secondary ip as primary ip through path2.

1. LAN - Router1- Router - LAN-Server (172.16.5.x)

2. LAN - Router2 - VPN Device - VPN device - LAN - Server (10.10.2.x)

What should be the configuration in Router2

Pls extend your hand

Thanks

Reza

5 Replies 5

Davy Ad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rezaul,

The best bet is to set default route in Router2

By Creating static route to R1

HTH

DAK

Hi HTH

Issue is slightly different. Server beyond the LAN can communicate with the both primary and secondary ip address of remote m/c through only by one ip address.This is the limitations of the application runnning of the host server.

So server will connect to the secondary ip (10.10.2.x) as primary ip (172.16.5.x) so i think ip nating has to enabled in R2

Pls help

Thanks

Reza

Hi

Swithcing server can identify the ATM server through the ATM ID. BUT only one ip can be put for one ATM ID. So the switching server can identify the ATM by only one IP.

Pls see the attachment

Now want to know the configuraton of Router2 as per attachment

Anyone help me

Thanks

Reza

Rezaul,

One question that I would want to know is, does Router 2 have a route to reach the ip 10.10.2.1 server? If so, then on he R2 we can configure a static nat config that will change the source ip 192.168.5.145 to anything in the 10.10.2.0/24 network. But then, you said it was using path1, why do u wanna change anything on R2?

Awaiting ur reply.

-/ Kiran

You need to take care of two issues: routing and NAT. For the routing you need to make sure that router 1 uses router 2 for the destination 172.16.5.145. I assume that path 2 is a backup and should be used only when the path 1 is unavailable? If that is correct, you can add a static route to router 1:

ip route 172.16.5.145 255.255.255.255 200

This will trigger router 1 to use router 2 to reach 172.16.5.145 only when no other route is available. You must also make sure that the ATM routes traffic to 192.168.5.145 to the VPN device in situations where you want path 2 to be taken.

Then NAT. I would try to apply NAT outside on router 1, like this

ip nat outside source static 10.10.2.1 172.16.5.145

Then apply on router 1 on the interface towards the switching server, and on the interface towards router 2. Since the "outside" is towards router 2, packets will only get translated when they are routed over path 2, otherwise not.

You can not apply NAT outside on router 2 because router 2 will first lookup the destination address before translating, and router 2 has no route to 172.16.5.145.

I hope I have correctly understood your situation, if not let me know. It would also be helpful if there are additional information about routing protocols.

HTH, Thomas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card