cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Q-in-Q

snickered
Level 1
Level 1

I am interested in having a particular VLAN in two separate sites. I have read a little about it and was wondering if it would be possible to do across a point-to-point DS3 connection. I see a command on my serial link "Router2(config-if)#dot1q tunneling ethertype ?"

Will this command help me do what I want? I just want to be able to have a particular subnet in two different cities where it's not an option to split it.

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jason

If you want to extend a L2 vlan over a L3 routed link then L2TPv3 will allow you to do this -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t2/feature/guide/gtl2tpv3.html

You don't say what routers you are using or what IOS you have. L2TPv3 is not supported on all routers.

Jon

Router1:

Model: 7206VXR

IOS: C7200P-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M 12.4(15)T5

Port Adapter: PA-2T3+=

Router2:

Model: 7204VXR

IOS: C7200-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M 12.4(15)T1

Port Adapter: PA-2T3+=

Will this do? From what I can see "2-port T3 port adapter" will work (if that's what PA-2T3 is). And it looks like the 7200 series has been supported as of 12.0(21)S.

You wouldn't happen to have a base config for the interfaces, would you?

ullasupendran
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

If your requirement is to span the vlan between different sites Use the dot1d tunneling feature in the switched connected to ur WAN routers.See the link for config details.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swtunnel.html

Hope this helps.

Ullas

The way I understand this is that you can't do this across a L3 link. Am I correct on this?

Hello Jason,

you are correct 802.1Q tunneling is a MAN feature provided by a L2 Service Provider, in your case L2TPv3 is the right tool as explained by Jon.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card