cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Forcing broadcast or multicast traffic

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is there a way to do this? I'm testing storm control on a switch.

Thanks!

--John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For multicast traffic try MCAST or VLC. Broadcast is a little harder, Wireshark should be able to do it.

Hope that helps.

How can I use Wireshark to generate a broadcast storm? And do you mean the vlc player? Also, I don't have this switch connected to anything. I have two laptops connected to it and a router that doesn't have a connection to the internet; it's strictly a lab setup. I wanted to generate enough traffic to keep the other laptop from being able to ping the router consistently. If I have to stream actual video for multicast, then that won't work because I can't put my router on the network.

Thanks Collin!

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Honestly I've never used Wireshark to generate traffic, but I know it can. Yes I mean the VLC player, you can use it to generate a multicast stream from one of the laptops. I don't think you need the router on the network for multicast, I think you can do it with what you have. I rarely do multicast, so I'm no expert, but with IGMPv3 I think it can be done.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card