cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IGMP snooping on 6509

netsquant
Level 1
Level 1

When igmp snooping is applied the interface that sends multicast packets out the job fails after a few minutes. If IGMP is turned off the job passes but multicast hammers the entire network so i need it working. Any suggestions.

22 Replies 22

CriscoSystems
Level 5
Level 5

Is CGMP an available option?

yes, i was looking into that but not sure if that is the missing piece.

Hello Shane,

IGMP snooping works by sniffing IGMP reports from receivers that are sent if there is a multicast router sending IGMP queries every 60 seconds.

If no multicast router is on the Vlan you can activate a feature called IGMP Snooping querier on the C6500 itself.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/snooigmp.html#wp1070778

Hope to help

Giuseppe

what about cgmp, could this be the missing link. IGMP querier still fails.

CGMP requires a L3 interface to inform the switch to map ports to multicast addresses.

Are you running PIM on a L3 interface at all or is this just multicast within a L2 vlan only.

What IOS are you running ?

Jon

My 6509 is running as a l2 switch

(s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9-VM), Version 12.2(18)SXF10

When you have IGMP snooping enabled on your 6500 are you saying it works in that it only sends the multicast stream to those ports that are interested in it. I appreciate that it stops working but the key part is does it actually work for those first 3 minutes or so ?

If the switch is L2 only where is the L3 vlan interface for the L2 vlan on the 6500 ?

Jon

the job starts and then crashes and i have 2 7206's on the inside also.

Okay the job starts then crashes but in your original thread you said if you turn off IGMP snooping then the network gets hammered. So can i assume from this that before the job crashes the network is not getting hammered.

Where is the L3 interface for the L2 vlan on the 6500 ?

Jon

when igmp is on the multicast job only goes where needed and crashes after a few minutes, when off the job completes but my entire network gets hammered with multicast. the 6509 hits my 7206 then out to the WAN. the 7206 is l3.

Okay so before the job crashes and you have IGMP snooping turned on, what is doing the IGMP querying ?. As noted by Giuseppe you either have "IGMP snooping querier" enabled or you have a PIM enabled interface.

You could try enabling PIM only on the L3 interface for that vlan on the 7206.

I have checked the bug tool for IGMP bugs related to your IOS but nothing matches what you are seeing.

Jon

ip pim-sm is on the lan interface of the 7206 does it need to be on teh wan side also?

No, only on the LAN side if you are simply trying to contain the multicast within your L2 vlan.

Jon

ok, i'm going to try cgmp and see what happens.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco