cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can LWAPP be converted to Automous AP?

srosenthal
Level 4
Level 4

I have a LWAPP 1242 and I need it to be autonomous, can this be done?

Seth

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Seth,

This is most possible

Here is the related info :)

Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note This section does not apply to Cisco C3201WMIC and Cisco C3201LAP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow these steps to revert from LWAPP mode to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS release using a TFTP server:

Step 1 The static IP address of the PC on which your TFTP server software runs should be between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated.

Step 3 On the PC where the TFTP server is located, perform these steps:

a. Disable any software firewall products, such as Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm firewall, McAffee firewall, or others.

b. Ensure all Windows files are visible. From Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders.

Step 4 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point, c1130-k9w7-tar.default for an 1130 series access point, c1240-k9w7-tar.default for a 1240 series access point, and c1250-k9w7-tar.default for a 1250 series access point.

Step 5 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 6 Disconnect power from the access point.

Step 7 Press and hold MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 8 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.

Step 9 Wait until the access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 10 After the access point reboots, reconfigure it using the GUI or the CLI.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161272

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Seth,

This is most possible

Here is the related info :)

Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release

Note This section does not apply to Cisco C3201WMIC and Cisco C3201LAP.

Follow these steps to revert from LWAPP mode to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS release using a TFTP server:

Step 1 The static IP address of the PC on which your TFTP server software runs should be between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated.

Step 3 On the PC where the TFTP server is located, perform these steps:

a. Disable any software firewall products, such as Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm firewall, McAffee firewall, or others.

b. Ensure all Windows files are visible. From Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders.

Step 4 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point, c1130-k9w7-tar.default for an 1130 series access point, c1240-k9w7-tar.default for a 1240 series access point, and c1250-k9w7-tar.default for a 1250 series access point.

Step 5 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 6 Disconnect power from the access point.

Step 7 Press and hold MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 8 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.

Step 9 Wait until the access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 10 After the access point reboots, reconfigure it using the GUI or the CLI.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161272

Hope this helps!

Rob

I have a lap-1242ag which I trying to convert. I followed the instructions and saw that the files got extracted. But the unit does the reboot (all lights green) but stops there, the status light never goes to flashing green.

Can you help? I could post the end of the terminal session if that helps.

Thanks.

Hi Rob, question.

Say I migrate a LAP1242AG to autonomous and then for give reason I need to move it back to LWAPP.

Do I need to use the migration tool?

I s there a way to "make backup" of the orginal LWAPP image and configuration before moving to autonomous and get it restored when I decide to step back to LWAPP?

Many thanks for you help!

Hi Andrea,

The only method that I know of would be to repeat the upgrade using Upgrade Utility :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

OK, please help me to see if I got the full story:

1) I buy a LWAPP: this AP can register to any WLC without restrictions.

2) For some reason I need to move the LWAPP to autonomous AP.

3) Then, at some point in time, the need is over, and I want to get my AP back to the original LWAPP status. I use the migration tool.

4) The LWAPP that I get after the migration is a LWAPP with the restrictions listed here http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp160545

All correct?

If so, if I move away from the original LWAPP mode I'll never be able to get it back to my original LWAPP setup at 100% of its capabilities. Am I missing anything?

Many many thanks in advance for your help.

All the best, Andrea

Hi Andrea,

These assumptions are all correct my friend :) But the only restriction that might be considered as rendering the LWAPP AP less than 100% would be this one;

"Access points converted with this tool will not connect to 40xx, 41xx, or 3500 controllers."

This really probably is not a serious issue as all of these WLC Models are "End of Life" and will not likely come into play. In all other respects the AP can be moved back and forth between Autonomous and LWAPP with ***FULL functionality.

End-of-Sale or End-of-Life products.

Cisco 4100 Series Wireless LAN Controllers

Cisco 2000 Series Wireless LAN Controllers

Cisco Airespace 4000 Series Wireless LAN Controller

Cisco Airespace 3500 Series WLAN Controller

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/prod_category_end_of_life.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Yes it does definitely. Thanks.

I converted a LAP1242ag back to autonomous using your method. I only had one problem, I had to use a more recent release v12.4 the 12.3 I had wouldn't work.

Thanks for the tip.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: