Considering CCNA

Unanswered Question
Nov 20th, 2008

Hello All,

I am 3 classes away from completing an undergraduate's degree in Network Computing and Security. While I have learned a great deal about network topologies, protocols and OSI/TCP IP standards I am still concerned that I will not be able to land a job in the field without a certification. Would CCNA be the right place to start? Would this knowledge be equivalent to what I have learned in school? And can you tell me if the bootcamps are a better place for learning than self-study?

I would appreciate any advice you can provide.

Regards,

Jeanette

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
wesleyterry Thu, 11/20/2008 - 22:57

I think boot-camps do one of two things:

1) Refresh ideas/concepts that you already know and understand to "refresh" your memory right before an exam.

2) Brief overview of the Cisco Way for the core concepts. Ideally, gives you a foundation to then go and self-study with a heavier emphasis on the material you need to work on.

Neither Bootcamp that I went to (CCNA nor BCMSN) equiped me to pass the exam with just the material in class.

So in my honest opinion, I would stick to self-study if you can learn from that sort of thing.

With all that said, I definetly suggest starting with the CCNA. Its the pre-req for almost anything Cisco and therfor is always good to have under your belt. If you already have a network foundation, you'll probably just need to focus on the Cisco Way.

ljeanette547 Fri, 11/21/2008 - 06:57

Hello WesleyTerry,

Thank you for your input. Any suggestions on sites that might provide helpful tools or tutorials to get me through the CCNA test? I am looking forward to covering other aspects of networking in our future courses, i have 3 more to complete. I also am looking to purchase a CCNA cert book to help guide me through the process. Thanks again

Regards,

Jeanette

pkumarap Fri, 11/21/2008 - 02:03

Hi..CCNA is good to start in to networking.Go through some videos before going and reading books bec reading books is difficult for a beginner.so download cbt nuggets or knowledgenet that helps you

ljeanette547 Fri, 11/21/2008 - 06:53

Hello..

thank you for the info. We have been working with a basic cisco simulator in class, CISCO Router eSIM 1.1. Can you provide a list of sites or links that contain free downloads or similar training tools that would be useful?

Thanks again,

Jeanette

suranaresh Fri, 11/21/2008 - 07:45

Hi..

simulators are good to know brief experience, but they won't give you complete access on router. To get good hands on experience, don't go for the simulators, rather try to buy a real router or use an emulator. The emulator is similar to router, but which works on the PC. You need to use GNS3 software to get good experience. for further details just visit the below site.

www.gns3.net

Hope u got what i mean to say...

Naresh

howtonetwork Sun, 11/23/2008 - 04:28

Hi,

I'm afraid that a BSc and even MSc won't really translate into useful skills which any employment agency or company can use. They are good for management positions but you don't really get much bang for your buck.

If you enjoy networking and fixing networking issues then the CCNA is an excellent qualification to posess and will certainly help you leverage yourself into a decent contract or job.

Good sites with freebies and run by ethical people are:

http://www.howtonetwork.net (mine)

http://www.thebryantadvantage.com (Chris Bryant)

http://www.proprofs.com (very good for freebies)

There are lots of vids on YouTube giving confids and examples.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Yaget1DuNJY

Best of luck

Paul

ljeanette547 Mon, 11/24/2008 - 10:49

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your input. I firmly believe the CCNA will help me to get one foot in the door. I am looking to obtain this before June 2009.

What are your thoughts on the Network + certification. Is this equivalent to the CCNA without the Cisco foundation?

Actions

This Discussion