Views
Helpful
Replies

Dropping Connectivity

naparrott
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I am having a problem with connectivity dropping out intermittently. I am running rapid spanning-tree, and have one and only one Vlan on this link. Its a dedicated fiber link running IP Video. This link has been working fine for about 6 months. The other day we replaced another piece of equipment in one of the switches that this dedicated vlan runs through. Ever since then the connectivity will run for about 5 minutes and then drop out totally. Only way to get the connectivity back is to break the link in a different place. This time the link will stay up, until the link that was manually disabled its re-enabled. Then spanning-tree will take over and block the appropriate port, within 5 minutes its back down again. I am not sure where to start, I have verified the configs on all the ports that are associated in this architecture. We are actually blocking that dedicated vlan, to keep it separate from our data... If anyone has any comments it would greatly be a appreciated.

2 Replies 2

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

Have you checked the power on ur fiber links.

r u using UDLD (Unidirectional Link Detection)on ur fiber link ports?

Yes the power looks good on the fiber links, as far as UDLD I dont believe we are running it. I am looking now and it says..

Port enable administrative configuration setting: Follows device default

Port enable operational state: Disabled

Current bidirectional state: Unknown

The ting that really throws me off is that when we drop the connection to the video camera's, the ports still show connected, and also I can ping the camera's themselves. Its almost like they are still connected but, just too slow to get to them... Lots of timeouts, etc...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card