cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9124 and VSANs

rrfield
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am new to SANs and have what is hopefully a simple question. Our current setup is very simple, two 9124 switches licensed for 16 ports each, no interconnection between the two. On switch 1 all ports are configured as VSAN 1, on switch 2 they are all VSAN 2. All devices in our small SAN connect to each of the 9124's.

We would like to expand the SAN to another building on our campus, the devices in the other building are not "critical" so redundancy is not necessary.

For this other building I was thinking we could get one more 9124 with 16 active ports and configure 8 ports with VSAN 1 and 8 ports with VSAN 2, then connect the small number of devices to each VSAN.

Is it really this simple, I am assuming I'm missing something...

1 Reply 1

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What you propose is just fine. If the 3rd site with the 9124 with 8 ports in VSAN 1 and 8 ports in VSAN 2 need to communicate with the devices back in the original 2 switches, you will need to use 1 port from each VSAN as an ISL back to the original swtich. It will also mean that you need to use of the 16 ports in those switches for the ISL as well.

If the devices in the new switch do not need connectivity back to the original switches, then set port 1-8 in VSAN 1, and port 9-16 in VSAN 2 and your done.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: