Equipment & Topology
1. Perimeter ASA (In redundancy Active/Passive)
2. Dual Cat 6500 chassis (ACE-bridged, FWSM) with HSRP (all groups active on single chassis)
3. Vlans : 1, 2, 4, 5
Vlan 1 is outside MSFC. VLAN 2, 3, 4 are defined on FWSM which lies after MSFC.
4. Etherchannel is used between Cat 6500
5. The server hosts have dual NIC (Active/Passive) terminating on different Cat 6500s.
Problem Summary: Intermittent pings from all other networks to a 'single' host x only in vlan 2. All other networks are able to ping other hosts continuously in vlan 2. And ping to host x from other hosts in same vlan is also pinging successfully. So the issue is other networks.
While investigating I switched off the standby chassis and reloaded the primary chassis. After reload, the ping for host x in vlan 2 gave 'no' problems and successful throughout. After sometime, I switched on the standby chassis the pings started to break again. I couldn't find anything in the logs as well.
This setup has been in place for couple of months and started giving this problem only recently.
Could you please provide your valuable inputs and as many troubleshooting points as possible to isolate and resolve the issue.
Some of areas which I think should be investigated are
1. Switching loop
2. MAC address flapping
3. Another host with same IP connected to the switch.
Looking forward to your expert advice.