Views
Helpful
Replies

Lock IP phone with a password

vijay-menon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

One of our customer have Call manager 6.1.2 with Cisco sccp IP phones. The customer would like to lock all the IP phone with a password. Can you help me please to find a solution?

9 Replies 9

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

Extension Mobility provides the ability to restrict access, here is a few details about the feature:-

The Extension Mobility feature enables a user to log in to an IP phone and automatically apply his or her profile to that phone, including extension number, speed dials, message waiting indicator (MWI) status, and calling privileges. This mechanism relies on the creation of a device profile associated with each Extension Mobility user. The device profile is effectively a virtual IP phone on which you can configure one or more lines and define calling privileges, speed dials, and so on.

When an IP phone is in the logged-out state, (that is, no Extension Mobility user has logged into it), the phone characteristics are determined by the device configuration page and the line configuration page(s). When a user logs in to an IP phone, the device configuration does not change, but the existing line configuration is saved in the Unified CM database and is replaced by the line configuration of the user's device profile.

One of the key benefits of Extension Mobility is that users can be reached at their own extensions regardless of where they are located, provided that they can log in to an IP phone controlled by the same Unified CM cluster. When Extension Mobility is applied to multisite deployments with centralized call processing, this capability is extended to multiple sites geographically separated from each other.

However, if you combine the Extension Mobility feature with the AAR feature described in the section on Automated Alternate Routing, some limitations exist. Consider the example shown in Figure 10-13, where Extension Mobility and AAR are deployed in a centralized call processing Unified CM cluster with one site in San Jose and one in New York.

Taken from the CUCM 6.x SRND:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/6x/dialplan.html#wp1044461

Please also take a look at the CUCM 6.x features guide, it goes into more detail, including configuration:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/6_1_1/ccmfeat/fsem.html

Hope this helps

Allan.

sunishnair
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Vijay,

How are you. One of my client also asked the same thing. I think that some of the third party vendors providing the same features through the xml Script.

We can except a feature from Cisco with lattest call manager.

If you got any solution for this one Please share here.

Regards,

Sunish

vhilario
Level 1
Level 1

vijay:

What is the pupose to lock the ip phones? So people cannot make calls from other ip phones?

Maybe using FAC will help you. "FAC and Client Matter Codes (CMC) allow you to manage call access and accounting. CMC assists with call accounting and billing for billable clients, while FACs regulate the types of calls that certain users can place. The FAC feature forces the user to enter a valid authorization code before the call connects"

Please see the following link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_configuration_example09186a00807d11d4.shtml

This could be apply only for employers and managers could have full acces for ougoing calls.

HTH

Please rate if this was useful

vhilario

see this application http://www.andtek.com/communications-products-lockout.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

Hi Java,

Thanks for your replay. But our customers wanted to get this features from Cisco products.

Regards,

Sunish

then we only provide EM, FAC and CMC. that's all we got.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Hi Java,

Thanks for your update. That we already discussed with Customer. But you please update these things into Cisco unified developer teams. So they can think about it. So we can provide new features to customers.

So they are more happy.

Regards,

Sunish

let me put it this way, i'm not a customer, i'm not the one buying this stuff (even if i want i don't have the money =) ). the ones that need to ask for this are the guys buying this, the ones spending the big bucks on this. reach your AM and see if you can submit a PER, that is the way you need to proceed if you want a feature. this does not guarantee it will be on later versions.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Hi Javalenc,

Thanks for the answer.

In Digital TelePhones or say, in mobile phones, there are facilities available to lock the keys using some codes. We, as engineers who does the system integration or support jobs, gets requests from the end Customers who will be using the phones(who probably are not the guys who are buying this or closing the sale) for this feature.

Technicalities and Processes apart, It would be really nice, if Cisco in the future provides a feature to lock keys of the IP Phone - It would be great if that feature can be made available like "increasing the volume" feature on the IP Phone.

In India, there is a huge demand for this feature - That is for sure.

Regards

Kalesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: