cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to connect vlan to wan with cisco 871

jmiedema1
Level 1
Level 1

i bought a cisco 871 router i had my vlan connected to wan but i lost connection with a certain nat command

i cant reestablish the routing

cisco 871

vlan router ip 10.10.10.1 no dhcp computer 10.10.10.2 with

dns servers from the internet provider gateway 10.0.0.138 adsl modem

router ip on wan is 10.0.0.10

i just want to interet for a start

i route fastethernet4 (wanport) to 0.0.0.0 submask 0.0.0.0 but nothing happens

??

jil

22 Replies 22

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please provide config.

Can you ping 10.0.0.138 from the router?

__

Edison.

yes and also from the computer.

i have used now the nat wizzard simple to connect to the internet. i can configure my adsl modem but i cant come trough the modem to the internet.

We need to see the router configuration for further troubleshooting.

You mentioned that you are now using the NAT wizard, did you enable NAT for the internal networks to connect to the internet?

Can you ping 4.2.2.2 from the router itself?

Thanks

__

Edison.

i attached my configuration file

jilles

So you are NATing from 10.10.10.0/29 subnet to 10.0.0.11 but, 10.0.0.11 is not routable in the internet so we need the router to either have a routable internet IP or have the connected device in F4, to NAT (once again) to make this connection routable in the internet.

Makes sense?

__

Edison.

see next answer , it works when vlan1 is routed to the gateway. , the adsl modem(gateway) was connected to F4 all the time.

One more thing, the following command should direct requests to a gateway

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.0

10.0.0.0 isn't a valid gateway IP. Please enter the correct information there.

HTH,

__

Edison.

chancing the ip route 0.0.0.0 to the valid gateway(adsl modem) 10.0.0.138 did it, internet works through the router.

on my vista computer i filled in 10.0.0.1 as the gateway, is that corect ?

thank you very much for the advice.

stubbling on these simple problems .

do you know a good book for starters like me.

when i chance the route default route 0.0.0.0 to 10.0.0.138 to a non default route 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.248 to 10.0.0.138, it doesnt works anymore. why ?

when i chance the gateway on my ip4 gateway adres from 10.10.10.1 (ciscorouter) to 10.0.0.138 it doesnt matter, it works as well.

why ?

jilles

when i chance the route default route 0.0.0.0 to 10.0.0.138 to a non default route 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.248 to 10.0.0.138, it doesnt works anymore. why ?

You need a default route in the router in order to handle internet traffic.

If you source a connection from the router or a device sitting behind the router, the router needs to know how to get there. If the information isn't in the routing table, the router will drop the traffic. The default route handles 'all routes' requests. A specific route (10.10.10.0/29) will only handle traffic to that subnet.

when i chance the gateway on my ip4 gateway adres from 10.10.10.1 (ciscorouter) to 10.0.0.138 it doesnt matter, it works as well.

Are you talking about the Vista workstation default gateway? It seems the router is handling this traffic via proxy-arp.

If an end-device has an incorrect gateway or the gateway information is missing, devices running proxy-arp will take care of that traffic. Proxy-Arp is enabled by default in Cisco routers.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Your Vista computer should point to the Vlan 1 IP address. I don't recall that address being 10.0.0.1, isn't that subnet 10.10.10.0/29 ?

Any CCNA book should be good for a beginner :)

__

Edison.

i have the following problem

internet is working from inside to outside, rdp is working from inside to outside.

i want to permit external user, with ip a.a.a.a with port b to enter a host c.c.c.c on the inside network.

what can i use ?

acces rule ?

nat rule

port to application mapping ?

You need a NAT rule

__

Edison.

if i make a extented natrule via sdm from outside wan ip adres aaaa to inside host cccc port tcp bbbb translated to bbbb and assoiciate it with outside interface inbound then i think all ports are redirected because i lose my http connection to the cisco router

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: