cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM E-mail Notifications change

david-flores
Level 1
Level 1

I have created some email notifications in DFM to alert me if a switch becomes unresponsive. However, I would like to know if it is possible to change the alert to give me the hostname of the switch instead of the ip address. I basically want to just modify the field "MANAGED OBJECT" from an ip address to the corresponding hostname. Is this possible? Here is what the alert looks like.

EVENT ID = 000015Y

ALERT ID = 00000TL

TIME = Tue 18-Nov-2008 15:00:56 PST

STATUS = Active

SEVERITY = Critical

MANAGED OBJECT = 172.16.253.113

MANAGED OBJECT TYPE = Switches and Hubs

EVENT DESCRIPTION = Unresponsive::Component=172.16.254.98

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The address must not be translated correctly by the system resolver. Java is particular when it comes to resolving addresses to hostnames. Try adding the address and name to the local hosts file, then try removing the device, and re-syncing it.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will need to make sure the IP address is resolvable in DNS or the server's local hosts file. Then, you will need to remove the device from DFM, and re-sync it from DCR. After that, all new event and alert notifications will contain the device's hostname. The device will also show up by the same hostname in the DFM device selectors.

I actually tried that, and it did not work. I used DNS, but not a local hosts file. I removed from DCR, which I believe removes from all other applications including DFM, then re-added it, but the alerts are still showing up the same.

The address must not be translated correctly by the system resolver. Java is particular when it comes to resolving addresses to hostnames. Try adding the address and name to the local hosts file, then try removing the device, and re-syncing it.

Thank you, this worked. You solved in 5 minutes what has taken a TAC engineer 5 days to fix. I only wish you could take over my existing case that is somewhat related to this. Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: