cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Input and overrun errors on ASA 5550 Fiber Ports

mwatson
Level 1
Level 1

We are seeing input and overrun erros on our ASA 5550 fiber ports. I have everything hard coded to 1000/full but continue to see errors. I would suspect cable but all 3 fiber ports have the errors. Any Ideas?

5 Replies 5

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The fact that you have it hard-coded doesnt mean you won't have any errors. What is the setting onthe other side?

Regards

Farrukh

They are hard coded to 1000/full also

MATTHEW BECK
Level 1
Level 1

What's the traffic pattern like? I often see overruns when too many tiny packets overrun the buffers on the interface. Input errors can be lots of things. Is the interface trunking to your switch or just access? If trunking, it could be traffic in VLANs that the ASA interface isn't configured to use.

It is just access. Interesting thing is if I fail to the backup ASA I don't see the error on the backup interfaces.

Hello,

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. Is the switch port the ASA is plugged in to set to access only? Are the port configs on the switch identical between the primary and the backup?

If you don't see the problem on the backup 5550 then that rules out my idea of tiny packets going very fast.

My next move would be to span the switch port going to the ASA out to a capture device and see what it's sending.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: