cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to you 'copy and paste' text using #banner motd

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Folks, on my router I am trying to copy a half-page of text and then paste after doing #banner motd line

However, once I paste the text I get output saying "command was not identified".

Can you pleae explain how can I copy large text from notepad and paste it as a banner? Which character combination do I need to use?

3 Replies 3

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Marlon,

The easiest way in creating a banner is to use something like notepad. type in the "banner motd" command and use notepad to edit your banner as necessary. Then go into global configuration mode and paste your banner in.

banner motd ^ This is an example manner!^

You must use a unique start and stop delimiter. In my example I used the ^ sign.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/configfun/configuration/guide/fcf004.html#wp1001446

HTH,

Mark

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

also make sure that you're not using the same character delimiter in your banner. you'll get the output "command was not identified".

Marlon

I have w comments (1 pretty picky and 1 more general):

- You say that you entered:

after doing #banner motd line

this makes it look like you were in privilege exec mode rather than global config mode. The banner motd is a global config command.

- if you were in global config and you typed:

banner motd line

the IOS would problably not recognize the command. What it is looking for is banner motd , where is some character that marks the beginning and the end of the banner text. And as John mentions you should be sure that the character that you use for delimiter does not appear anywhere within your banner text.

[edit] My memory is that the on line help probably does describe the command as banner motd line, where line represents some line of text (the delimiter character). I feel that this is one of the less helpful explanations that on line help does.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: