cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade CME questions

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all, I have a few questions on a internal project I have coming up. I have installed CME4.0 with CUE 2.1.3 and has been running fine for a while now. But, I have been asked to put in place a feature that CME does (extension mobility), which isnt available on this version of CME. So, with that said, I plan on upgrading to CME4.2 (which does support ext mobility). I have a few questions on this upgrade:

1. When I upgrade to CME4.2, will I also need to upgrade CUE to a newer version?

2. If I do go ahead and upgrade CUE to a newer version, will those AA scripts need to be converted, or will there be no change in them or attention to them at all?

3. Any other thing that I might be missing that you guys have experienced that might need attention after the CME upgrade?

Thanks all for your input on this matter.

2 Replies 2

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

Hi John, according to the CUE compatibility matrix, you will require at least CUE 2.3.2 for CME 4.2, so an upgrade will be required I' afraid to say:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/compatibility/cuecomp.htm

Upgrading from version earlier than 2.3.4 to 3.1 for example will require a clean installation. This is a clean installation that "cleans" the disk by erasing any existing configuration and voice-mail data, repartitioning the disk, and loading all new files on the disk. You must back up your configuration and data files before starting the clean installation, and then restore the configuration and data files after the installation takes place.

Please also refer the CUE Backup section of the guide. The configuration backup option allows you to backup you scripts and prompts, which can then be restored after the upgrade. There is no mention that the scripts need to be changed.

See the following CUE upgrade link:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel3_1/installation/guide/upgrade31.html

There certain features for extension Mobility in CME which you should be aware of, which will help decide what version is better suited to your requirements:-

In Cisco Unified CME 4.2(1) and later versions, phone users can use the web-based GUI to set up personal speed dials on an Extension Mobility phone. Previously, the speed-dial configuration for a phone could only be done in Cisco Unified CME using Cisco IOS commands.

In Cisco Unified CME 4.3 and later versions, Extension Mobility users can configure their own speed-dial settings directly on the phone. Speed-dial settings are added or modified on the phone by using a menu available with the Services feature button. Any changes to the speed-dial settings made through the phone user interface are applied to the user's profile in Extension Mobility.

Cisco Unified CME 4.3 and later versions includes an Automatic Timeout feature for Extension Mobility. After an automatic logout is executed, Cisco Unified CME sends the logout profile to the phone and restarts the phone. After an automatic logout, Extension Mobility users can log in again.

You can configure up to three different times on a 24-hour clock for automatically logging out Extension Mobility users based on time-of-day. The system clock triggers an alarm at the specified time and the EM Manager in Cisco Unified CME logs outs every logged in Extension Mobility user in the system. If an Extension Mobility user is using the phone when automatic logout occurs, the user is logged out after the active call is completed.

Automatic Clear Call History

In Cisco Unified CME 4.3 and later versions, the EM manager in Cisco Unified CME issues commands to phones to clear call history whenever a user logs out of Extension Mobility. An HTTP GET/POST is sent between the Extension Mobility phone and the authentication server in Cisco Unified CME. The authentication server authorizes the request and the call history is cleared based on the result.

Privacy on an Extension Mobility Phone

In Cisco Unified CME 4.3 and later versions, the Privacy feature enables phone users to block other users from seeing call information or barging into a call on a shared octo-line directory number. When a phone receives an incoming call on a shared octo-line, the user can make the call private by pressing the Privacy feature button, which toggles between on and off to allow the user to alter the privacy setting on their phone. The privacy state is applied to all new calls and current calls owned by the phone user. For Extension Mobility phones, you can enable the privacy button in the user profile and logout profile

Taken from the following CME Admin Guide:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmemobl.html

Hope this helps.

Allan.

Thanks for the help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: