Views
Helpful
Replies

True OOB management on ASA

dmitry
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was just curious if anyone heard any Cisco's plans to implement a true OOB management interface on ASAs, so this interface does not use the global routing table (has some kind of a default GW for itself or maybe a policy based routing statement), the current implementation of "management-only" is pretty much useless (I can put such interface in my management vlan/subnet but what if I have remote VPN devices connected to this ASA that also need to access the same management vlan?)

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can make a separate context and place only the management interface in it.

However you will loose the VPN functionality as soon as you go to 'multiple' context mode :)

Regards

Farrukh

Exactly, there will be no VPN functionality, which is the problem. Something similar to VRF-Lite on ASA without the VPN restrictions of multi context would be perfect.

You can request this feature through your local Cisco AM/SE. If many people request it, it has high likelihood of appearing in future software releases.

Regards

Farrukh

A true OOB management would be very useful!

Without a separate routing instance this interface is useless.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card